Which Subjects should I choose in my a levels? Watch

jackstone297
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I can choose a maximum of 5 subjects but many people have adviced me against it, saying it would be a useless burden. I want to pursue a career in engineering. Right now I'm stuck between choosing chemistry or computer science. My other choices are maths, further maths and physics. These are the subjects that I really enjoy. What would be the best course of action for me? Should I drop maths and, choose computer science and chemistry both. Should I keep all five subjects? Which subject, chemistry or computer science would be more valuable to me in university or career as a whole. I really need your help.
username2110825
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jackstone297)
I can choose a maximum of 5 subjects but many people have adviced me against it, saying it would be a useless burden. I want to pursue a career in engineering. Right now I'm stuck between choosing chemistry or computer science. My other choices are maths, further maths and physics. These are the subjects that I really enjoy. What would be the best course of action for me? Should I drop maths and, choose computer science and chemistry both. Should I keep all five subjects? Which subject, chemistry or computer science would be more valuable to me in university or career as a whole. I really need your help.
I would advise against it, speaking as someone that did 5 to A2.

If you want a career in Engineering, Computer Science is the least useful to you; Chemistry has elements of physics and maths in it which will help more with Engineering, as well as keeping the options of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering open.

Computer Science can be studied at University without the A Level given not everywhere does it; you just need Maths and an awareness/ability for computing. Of course some places will ask for it, but not all.

Realistically I would say just do Maths, FM and Physics. You will be up to your head in work from the 2 maths ones alone and it's no use having 5 A Levels at ABBCC when you could have 3 A Levels at A*AA.
Zankou
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd say to go for Chemistry over Computer Science.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jackstone297)
well...you should stick with Maths, FM and Physics and choose between Computer science or chemistry, however many people may find doing 2 science A levels and 2 Maths A levels a bit too much for them. I believe that both Computer Science and Chemistry are relevant to Engineering since CS teaches you how to find solutions to a problem and apparently there is some chemistry in Engineering. (Although I heard by some students that there is very little chemistry in Engineering but that probably depends on which course you will choose to apply for).

I mean, I want to be an engineer and I am just doing Maths, FM and Physics. You don't have to do 4 A levels but you probably shouldn't do 5 A levels.

Although with my 3 A levels I am going to do EPQ and maybe STEP for the bants. (However I don't think that unis will ask you to do STEP exams when you are applying for engineering).
jackstone297
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
[QUOTE=SkyRees;70867176]I would advise against it, speaking as someone that did 5 to A2.

If you want a career in Engineering, Computer Science is the least useful to you; Chemistry has elements of physics and maths in it which will help more with Engineering, as well as keeping the options of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering open.

Computer Science can be studied at University without the A Level given not everywhere does it; you just need Maths and an awareness/ability for computing. Of course some places will ask for it, but not all.

Realistically I would say just do Maths, FM and Physics. You will be up to your head in work from the 2 maths ones alone and it's no use having 5 A Levels at ABBCC when you could have 3 A Levels at A*AA.[/QUOTE

how hard was it studying 5 a levels? and thanks for your advice it really means a lot to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.7%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (71)
10.06%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
56.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed