Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

friends in college - but i have a doubt watch

Announcements
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    No. There are no successful short people in England.

Didn't they ask for your height when you applied for a visa ? You shouldn't even be allowed to come.

Well this has to be one of the more amusing posts I've seen lately. Of course it doesn't matter. I'm sorry you're so insecure. It would probably be better if you try to fancy girls who are less than 5"3 and don't wear heels though. Then your height will be less noticeable.

ReputationRep:
    LOL!!!

Oh come on guys- give the guy a break! lol

Right- heres a few differences between India and UK,

1) Firstly we have to pass driving tests to drive- not merely pay for a licence

2) It doesnt matter if you're tall/small/bald/hairy/ugly/gorgeous (though some would admit fit girls seem to get secretarial jobs more easilly) etc etc you are judged by your intelligence and personality- just dont ever get big-headed.

3) We are world-leaders at inventing sports and being the *****est at them, apart from rowing which we only win as we're the only competitors!

So what im saying is if you want to succeed in uk- firstly pick what kind of friends you want-

you can have the type that are stuck-up, in that case just **** anyone off who is poor

you can have the "lets get into a fight type", in that scenario just dont start using posh words (and for heavens sake keep yourself out of trouble!!)

or you can have the honest decent friends who like you for how you are (hint hint!!) go for this option

ReputationRep:
    i forgot to add- secondly dont get big headed, make friends, but dont try to impress and talk nonsense, someone who doesnt talk much will have a better reputation than someone that talks *******s........

so, good luck, anymore questions...............Just Ask (sound familiar? lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by restless)
    A very big hi to everyone here, as this is my first post on this forum.

I will be joining university in uk this september. i am from india, and there is one major concern which i have and it would be really nice if you all could give me your frank opinion on this and help me through it.

In India i have been pretty much successful in many fields, from playing sports at the national level, to excelling in studies, to being one of the most popular guys in my school and college, to achieveing many landmarks and earning a lot of name....i did it all but ...BUT...it wasn't as easy for me doing it as it was for some other popular people...even though i have always had the talent to do big things and i have been a leader..one thing which has always hampered my prospects and opportunities has been a factor which is beyond my control, and i.e. i am short, and when i say short i mean quite short..to be precise i am 5'3...in india specially in my city height is of uttermost importance...even though i have always been very courageous, bold and gutsy, sometimes this has really let me down...and also lead to low - esteem and loss of friends.. When i say this has affected me in many spheres of life, i really mean it. for eg. when it comes to girls, i used to convince any girl to talk to me on phone just bu getting her no. and i used to get the phone numbers of the most arrogant girls on earth by my chatting skills...but i lost most of them due to this factor and its something which really hurts. This is one factor which has also affected my casual friendships in most cases. I can talk endlessly about the consequences this factor has had on me but i think it wont make much of a diff. ( another fact is that i look quite young..say 16 something)..so i will get on to my question.

what is the scenario in Uk ?, what is the importance of being tall ?, can this thing stop me from making the sort of name i have always wanted to make and become popular and make lots of friends? is it something very important. i have been to uk quite a few times before and based on what i saw i felt its something which isnt of too much importance there..but i have no idea about the university scenario...and any insights would really really be of help...i believe i have most things and skills which i always wanted to posess to make a name for me...but i am really afraid this is one factor which may ruin it all, do u think its possible? can a very short person actually climb the success ladder fast in a uni ? what kind of obstacles he may have to face? what is the uni atmosphere liek in this regard..can this thing hamper my prospects of hooking up with girls...or even making casual friends?

any help would be greatly appreciated .

i would be more worried if you had an accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    i would be more worried if you had an accent.
    well i have no conversation problem for sure.

about the insecurity thing, i asked this question because as i said this is something which does matter a lot in my country..so just wanted to get to know what's the scenario there....any more recommendations are welcome...and thanks faa for a very nice reply.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, height isn't a big factor in this country. So not many guys are as short but we don't predjudice about it. This is the true land of the free!!

ReputationRep:
    find shorter girls..they exist, myself being an example.. 5'1, not much but so what.

if someone you want to be friends with starts making fun of you, he's so not worth being your friend anyway...at all. choose intelligent people to be friends with.

and to be popular(if that's your dream), you don't have to be tall to be that, just funny, smart..

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.