So what do you need before you can do IB HL maths ?

Watch this thread
Incognito901
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So in my school we have 3 classes for maths:

foundation tier – they do Edexcel iGCSE maths A (foundation tier)
higher tier – they do Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier)
add maths tier – they do Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier) + CIE additional maths

I am in the higher tier so I am only doing Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier).

My school will let me choose HL maths but they are highly recommending me not to however, my university aspirations require me to have HL maths and also if I not do HL maths I would have to do HL english Lit which I am sure is gonna be even harder for me as I am very very bad at languages. And I hate reading.

So what should I do? Do you think Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier) is good enough preparation for IB HL maths?

What should I do?
nymphielymphie
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
You have to be insane to do HL Maths that's the pre-requirement.

But in all seriousness, you should do the highest qualification they'll let you do in secondary school, but you should do some AS level maths in your own time as preparation as well. HL Maths is intense, and it is challenging, even for those who find Maths at GCSE to be their best subject.

I understand you need HL Maths for uni, so if you feel it's necessary then go for it, but be prepared to do a LOT of work outside of class to get a good grade. I failed (got a 3) and the best girl in the class who put like 10+ hours of revision and independent study a week only managed a 5 I think. Remember you have another 5 subjects besides maths.

Why don't you do A Levels instead if you know what you want to do at uni? It will be less of a workload.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (116)
41.43%
They're exactly what I expected (66)
23.57%