So what do you need before you can do IB HL maths ?

Watch this thread
Incognito901
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So in my school we have 3 classes for maths:

foundation tier – they do Edexcel iGCSE maths A (foundation tier)
higher tier – they do Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier)
add maths tier – they do Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier) + CIE additional maths

I am in the higher tier so I am only doing Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier).
My school will let me choose HL maths but they are highly recommending me not to however, my university aspirations require me to have HL maths and also if I not do HL maths I would have to do HL english Lit which I am sure is gonna be even harder for me as I am very very bad at languages. And I hate reading.

So what should I do?

Do you think Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier) is good enough preparation for IB HL maths?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Incognito901)
So in my school we have 3 classes for maths:

foundation tier – they do Edexcel iGCSE maths A (foundation tier)
higher tier – they do Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier)
add maths tier – they do Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier) + CIE additional maths

I am in the higher tier so I am only doing Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier).
My school will let me choose HL maths but they are highly recommending me not to however, my university aspirations require me to have HL maths and also if I not do HL maths I would have to do HL english Lit which I am sure is gonna be even harder for me as I am very very bad at languages. And I hate reading.

So what should I do?

Do you think Edexcel iGCSE maths A (higher tier) is good enough preparation for IB HL maths?
Short answer, yes. Long answer, yes because the main topics covered on the additional maths are covered in HL maths anyway. You'll just be learning them twice (with the exception of matrices which have been curiously dropped from the IB HL syllabus now). It would be helpful but it's more of a case of "am I going to do this now or later".

That said HL Maths is no walk in the park even for mathematically able students. Also HL English has nothing to do with languages, it's all reading texts and writing essays about them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (101)
40.08%
They're exactly what I expected (61)
24.21%