The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Does having accomodation away from main campus matter? (At Derby Uni)

Hi,

I'm struggling to choose between either Derby Uni or Staffordshire Uni. One thing that keeps putting me off Derby is the fact that you have to get a bus to and from accommodation in order to get to the main campus where all the lectures happen. Edit: the bus is free and you can get it from accommodation.

I was wondering if anyone that goes to Derby has found this to be an issue or can help me decide which uni to go to?

Thanks so much for any replies :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
So, not having any experience with public transit in Derby specifically, but having had similar experiences in Exeter, it's certainly feasible but a) adds another cost every month and b) can sometimes be problematic if it's late or something. Also if you don't like crowded spaces or get travel sick or whatever that can be a consideration lol.

Usually if it's within 15-20 minutes on the bus on a single route it's fine, it's if your trip is longer or if you have to say get the bus to the city centre then change to another bus to get to campus.

It's worth noting though usually from 2nd year onward you'll be living in a house/flatshare and you may have to get buses from there anyway depending where you can find accommodation relative to the main campus.
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
So, not having any experience with public transit in Derby specifically, but having had similar experiences in Exeter, it's certainly feasible but a) adds another cost every month and b) can sometimes be problematic if it's late or something. Also if you don't like crowded spaces or get travel sick or whatever that can be a consideration lol.

Usually if it's within 15-20 minutes on the bus on a single route it's fine, it's if your trip is longer or if you have to say get the bus to the city centre then change to another bus to get to campus.

It's worth noting though usually from 2nd year onward you'll be living in a house/flatshare and you may have to get buses from there anyway depending where you can find accommodation relative to the main campus.

Thank you. I forgot to add but there is a free bus service from the accomodation to the campus so it isnt that bad really. Still issue of lateness and crowded spaces but :/
Original post by MRoseG
Thank you. I forgot to add but there is a free bus service from the accomodation to the campus so it isnt that bad really. Still issue of lateness and crowded spaces but :/

Oh well it being free helps lol. Yea I mean if you end up going up at 9-10am with everyone else it gets pretty hectic; if you go earlier or later you might find it more of a comfortable journey :P I imagine if it's been arranged by the uni directly, as opposed to a subsidised route run by general public transit then it's less likely to be late, but it's always a possibility (and on exam days you'd definitely want to get a much earlier one just in case...)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Oh well it being free helps lol. Yea I mean if you end up going up at 9-10am with everyone else it gets pretty hectic; if you go earlier or later you might find it more of a comfortable journey :P I imagine if it's been arranged by the uni directly, as opposed to a subsidised route run by general public transit then it's less likely to be late, but it's always a possibility (and on exam days you'd definitely want to get a much earlier one just in case...)

Haha yeah. Yeah i suppose its less likely to be late - you'd hope not anyway haha :smile:
If you decided to go for Derby University - Depending what campus you're at for your studies, you'll find there are some accommodation choices that are just a short walk from the University! At Darley Bank it's just a 25 min walk to Kedleston Campus, 14 min walk to Markeaton Campus, 10 min walk to Britannia Mill Campus and a 5 min walk to One Friar Gate Square Campus - so if you don't mind stretching your legs you'll be just fine! and you always have the bus for the rainy days.
Reply 6
Or get a bicycle.

Quick Reply

Latest