Confused about arrow heads

Watch this thread
SunTiger
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Refer to uploaded image. The arrows in the two middle structures should be half headed right? In the image is isn't very clear.
Attached files
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Poor IT. Should be double arrow head, otherwise you'd end up with radicals.
SunTiger
Rep:
(Original post by Pigster)
Poor IT. Should be double arrow head, otherwise you'd end up with radicals.
You sure? Could you explain why, in terms of sigma/pi bonds.
Pigster
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Numbering the atoms 1-6 clockwise starting from the N atom.

Step 2: the first equilibrium involves the breaking of the pi bond between C3&4, both e- move to between C4&5. I can see how you'd think that it should be a single arrow head as C4 has no net change in # of e- and I guess in a way a single arrow head would be correct, but I'd think of it is terms of mass movement of the position of the e-, i.e. both e- in the pi bond have moved from one side of C4 to the other side.

Sigma bonds don't get involved, there is no need to mention them.
SunTiger
Rep:
Numbering the atoms 1-6 clockwise starting from the N atom.

Step 2: the first equilibrium involves the breaking of the pi bond between C3&4, both e- move to between C4&5. I can see how you'd think that it should be a single arrow head as C4 has no net change in # of e- and I guess in a way a single arrow head would be correct, but I'd think of it is terms of mass movement of the position of the e-, i.e. both e- in the pi bond have moved from one side of C4 to the other side.

Sigma bonds don't get involved, there is no need to mention them.
How I see it is that the pi electron moves from C4-5 to C3-4, so that is just one electron right? Double bonds are made on one sigma and one pi electron. A half headed arrow shows movement of one electron. Though I may be missing something...
Pigster
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SunTiger)
How I see it is that the pi electron moves from C4-5 to C3-4, so that is just one electron right? Double bonds are made on one sigma and one pi electron. A half headed arrow shows movement of one electron. Though I may be missing something...
Both the sigma and pi bonds are covalent bonds - a shared pair of e-. A double bond therefore involves two shared pairs i.e. four e-.

Both e- in the pi bond move from one side t't'other.
SunTiger
Rep:
Both the sigma and pi bonds are covalent bonds - a shared pair of e-. A double bond therefore involves two shared pairs i.e. four e-.

Both e- in the pi bond move from one side t't'other.
Ahh yeah, makes sense now. Thanks for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (31)
32.63%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (44)
46.32%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (19)
20%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.05%

Watched Threads