Laurenloops
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I've been doing past papers for AQA A level geography (A2) and one of the questions is 'Withe reference to two seismic events you have studied from contrasting areas of the world, compare the ways in which earthquakes and their impacts have been managed'.

The two case studies I have done were Kashmir, Pakistan and L'Aquila, Italy. My problem is I cannot find any management for Kashmir (LEDC) and very little for L'Aquila.

The mark scheme goes on about all this stuff about measuring magnetic fields, fire prevention and computer programmes to identify where to send emergency services first. There is a massive list that goes on and on. All of these things seem to be in different areas though, so i'm completely stuck on how to do 10 mark question on this using only two case studies (one of which is an LEDC and most LEDCS have no management at all. Obviously just putting that won't get the 10 marks though).

If anyone can help and tell me where to get information on management or what I should put to get the 10 marks, that would be amazing.

Thank you!
Inister
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

I just googled "Kashmir 2005 Earthquake" and found plenty of stuff on management on Wikipedia, BBC News etc.
The same goes for L'Aquila

I can copy and paste it for you here if you like, but I'm curious as to why you can't seem to find it
Laurenloops
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Inister)
Hi,

I just googled "Kashmir 2005 Earthquake" and found plenty of stuff on management on Wikipedia, BBC News etc.
The same goes for L'Aquila

I can copy and paste it for you here if you like, but I'm curious as to why you can't seem to find it
Hi,

For L'Aquila for management i've got info about planning through the civil protection department, prediction from seismologists and building techniques to protect people being crushed. I've got a lot on the nature, impacts and responses for both, but in my book it literally says that Kashmir had no management. The only management I can find for Kashmir is emergency aid. If I talk about these things, will it be enough to get full marks?

When I searched it on google, a lot of what came up was about what they didn't do or just impacts and responses. Barely anything on management (Prediction, protection and prevention). I had similar problems when looking for management of volcano's, there just seem to be loads of responses and impacts, but little on management in comparison. Some of the responses i've found do seem like they could be part of management as well though, they just aren't in the mark scheme which focuses on the prediction, prevention and protection idea.
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Laurenloops)
Hi,

For L'Aquila for management i've got info about planning through the civil protection department, prediction from seismologists and building techniques to protect people being crushed. I've got a lot on the nature, impacts and responses for both, but in my book it literally says that Kashmir had no management. The only management I can find for Kashmir is emergency aid. If I talk about these things, will it be enough to get full marks?

When I searched it on google, a lot of what came up was about what they didn't do or just impacts and responses. Barely anything on management (Prediction, protection and prevention). I had similar problems when looking for management of volcano's, there just seem to be loads of responses and impacts, but little on management in comparison. Some of the responses i've found do seem like they could be part of management as well though, they just aren't in the mark scheme which focuses on the prediction, prevention and protection idea.
why not choose a different case study? 2004 Sumatra Earthquake?
AbiCEyre
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Italy is a MEDC so you can assume that have the basic management strategies that and LEDC would not. For instance education, that's a major one, evacuation routes and plans, some form of predicting methods, such as seismographs. It doesn't matter too much if it's not 100% accurate because the examiner is not going to know everything about the location you choose and are gunna base it around the mark scheme and specification. Obviously don't make things up which are stupid, I'm assuming this place is a village or rustic town so you wouldn't find high tech building supports or double glazing in every house. Keep it real
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?