The Student Room Group

Do extracurriculars matter in med school? Am I wasting my time?

Hi! I am a first year medical student and I recently did some digging up on Foundation Year, and it says that in order to get the preferred placement, extra curriculars don't matter? I have been elected as MUN president and have been actively trying to be involved in many clubs and sports, but now I am doubting whether it is all necessary? Are these things we can put into CVs when applying for jobs or are the only things employers care about the number of publications I have done and number of internships? I know its early for me to think about this but I would much rather know now than worry about it in 5th year!

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated!
They don't matter at all for the foundation programme. I think some training programmes probably have sections on the application forms for extracurricular stuff, but I'm not sure if it would be worth doing just for that purpose.
Original post by Ashfree
Hi! I am a first year medical student and I recently did some digging up on Foundation Year, and it says that in order to get the preferred placement, extra curriculars don't matter? I have been elected as MUN president and have been actively trying to be involved in many clubs and sports, but now I am doubting whether it is all necessary? Are these things we can put into CVs when applying for jobs or are the only things employers care about the number of publications I have done and number of internships? I know its early for me to think about this but I would much rather know now than worry about it in 5th year!

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated!

For foundation, you don't get a CV. You get an electronic form where you need to tick boxes against publications, prizes, etc.

Extra-curricular things might help you at specialty application level for showing things like leadership etc, but just as when you were applying for medical school, ECs are not supposed to be something you do to win points. They're supposed to be the things that help you develop as a person regardless of your professional identity, and things that you do for fun, that keep you sane in the midst of studying/working.
Reply 3
Original post by Becca-Sarah
For foundation, you don't get a CV. You get an electronic form where you need to tick boxes against publications, prizes, etc.

Extra-curricular things might help you at specialty application level for showing things like leadership etc, but just as when you were applying for medical school, ECs are not supposed to be something you do to win points. They're supposed to be the things that help you develop as a person regardless of your professional identity, and things that you do for fun, that keep you sane in the midst of studying/working.

Thank you! So it would be best to focus on the grades and just do these activities more for fun than competition? I won't get penalized if I don't excel in any of these ECs, would I? Thanks again!
Do things because you WANT to do them and enjoy them, not for your CV.
I would focus on the medicine and biochem itself, academics, aptitude etc
Original post by Ashfree
Thank you! So it would be best to focus on the grades and just do these activities more for fun than competition? I won't get penalized if I don't excel in any of these ECs, would I? Thanks again!

Do anything that will keep you sane through your five years in med school :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thanks everyone!
My advice to all med students these days I they have spare time is sadly to get a job.
You are being charged 4.6% interest on your student loan! If you can get away without borrowing the full maintenance loan every year you will be grateful once you graduate.
For jobs after the foundation program you are expected to have a section for extracurriculars/interests on your CV, and there are sections to talk about examples of leadership, teamwork etc. However, all of the formal 'points' are again for publications, courses etc.
Reply 10
Note though that the AFP has white space questions asking you to demonstrate completely separate examples of leadership, teamwork, teaching AND extra-curricular activities (etc.) depending on where you apply - and in that case extra-curricular stuff is important.
Original post by nexttime
If you're a grad don't even bother though - you'll never repay it :p:

Last estimate was £60k+, FML:bricks: I welcome Debt Mountain.
Original post by MJK91
Last estimate was £60k+, FML:bricks: I welcome Debt Mountain.

I have a friend who's just starting grad med - he's looking at something like £130k on graduation :laugh:
Original post by nexttime
I have a friend who's just starting grad med - he's looking at something like £130k on graduation :laugh:

With the interest I think mine will hit 100k by graduation. 😅

OP do the ECs for your sanity and to avoid losing all of your outside of medicine conversational ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending