emptystudent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
so i am new to this website and i would appreciate if anyone could help me!

I am an international/overseas student and going tostart my AS level, i have 4 a* and a B in igcse(out of 5)

my choices are;
ECONOMICS
BUSINESS
MATHS
HISTORY(INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS)

for someone wishing to study economics/business in European universities,are these subjects a good choice?.I worried about History as i haven't taken it in IGCSE and i am not sure as to its difficulty level.Is history a good choice and being someone doing A lvl as a private candidate,should i choose history?
liliandrews
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
These subjects are very good if you're planning to study economics/business! The only thing to keep in mind is a few of the top Universities regard business studies as a blackboard subject, due to it not being an academic subject and is more vocational, along side media studies etc. although seeing as you're planning to go on to that area of study in university it shouldn't be a problem. Also, regarding economics some of the top Universities would favour further maths, however this is by no means essential.
As for history A level without having studied it for GCSE, it in the most part should be fine. I know people who have come out with A*s in A level history without doing it for GCSE. However you must be aware of the work you have to put in. As long as you're prepared to keep on top of your work and learn the knowledge as you go along you should have no problem with studying history. Although if you are not big on revising this may be quite difficult (as it was for me at the start of this year!), you should also be aware that you are expected to write analytical essays (NOT descriptive) and you need to be able to think on the spot and write very quickly as the exams are pushed for time. If you do know the time period that you're studying then you should be fine with history A level and the more you know, the more fluent your writing will become. Also, history seems like a good subject for you as it's an essay subject in contrast to your other 3 subjects which will be favoured by Universities.
Hope this helps
connormc199
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello,
I study both Economics and History for A-level having never done so for GCSE; In agreement with the previous comment, as aforementioned history A-Level does require consist revision and you should be expecting to write numerous essays as the course is all literature based and for my exam-board it is exam exclusive. However, it is quite fortunate that history is a subject which is relatively essay to pick up having never studied it before considering most of the specification (for my exam-board) in A-Level does not possess much correlation or relevance to that of the GCSE spec. If you're prepared to do the work you'll be very successful in A-level history.
Similarly with History, economics and indeed in any A level subject you'll be expected to be doing constant revision. I have found economics slightly more difficult to adjust to as you will have to learn key concepts etc. Economics contains both mathematical and literature based elements although judging by your other choices (math/business) you should be fine!
CompSciEngineer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Interesting A levels. I did IB and had a standard science combination with math and languages.
emptystudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by liliandrews)
These subjects are very good if you're planning to study economics/business! The only thing to keep in mind is a few of the top Universities regard business studies as a blackboard subject, due to it not being an academic subject and is more vocational, along side media studies etc. although seeing as you're planning to go on to that area of study in university it shouldn't be a problem. Also, regarding economics some of the top Universities would favour further maths, however this is by no means essential.
As for history A level without having studied it for GCSE, it in the most part should be fine. I know people who have come out with A*s in A level history without doing it for GCSE. However you must be aware of the work you have to put in. As long as you're prepared to keep on top of your work and learn the knowledge as you go along you should have no problem with studying history. Although if you are not big on revising this may be quite difficult (as it was for me at the start of this year!), you should also be aware that you are expected to write analytical essays (NOT descriptive) and you need to be able to think on the spot and write very quickly as the exams are pushed for time. If you do know the time period that you're studying then you should be fine with history A level and the more you know, the more fluent your writing will become. Also, history seems like a good subject for you as it's an essay subject in contrast to your other 3 subjects which will be favoured by Universities.
Hope this helps
thanx a lot...btw do u know any online resources for history!! was checking past papers and there aren't many cuz they have changed the syllabus a bit for CIE A lvl
emptystudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by connormc199)
Hello,
I study both Economics and History for A-level having never done so for GCSE; In agreement with the previous comment, as aforementioned history A-Level does require consist revision and you should be expecting to write numerous essays as the course is all literature based and for my exam-board it is exam exclusive. However, it is quite fortunate that history is a subject which is relatively essay to pick up having never studied it before considering most of the specification (for my exam-board) in A-Level does not possess much correlation or relevance to that of the GCSE spec. If you're prepared to do the work you'll be very successful in A-level history.
Similarly with History, economics and indeed in any A level subject you'll be expected to be doing constant revision. I have found economics slightly more difficult to adjust to as you will have to learn key concepts etc. Economics contains both mathematical and literature based elements although judging by your other choices (math/business) you should be fine!
thanx a lot...btw do u know any online resources for history!! was checking past papers and there aren't many cuz they have changed the syllabus a bit for CIE A lvl
liliandrews
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emptystudent)
as the A level history course is essay based I can only recommend that if you know what your area of study is (e.g. Nazi Germany, Russia etc.) then read into that particular time period to familiarise yourself with the content so that it'll become easier to put into context later on! Other than that you could try writing analytical essays but really it won't do much good until you cover the content and the writing style you need to use with your teacher. Despite syllabus changes, the course will remain somewhat similar after each change, so the past papers that are already out there may come to some use even if they aren't exactly the same anymore
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (395)
43.84%
No (92)
10.21%
I'm not old enough (414)
45.95%

Watched Threads