The Student Room Group

Where would I meet 'hippy' girls?

I use the term 'hippy' loosely. I mean where would I meet girls that have a similar obsession as me with all things 60s and 70s such as television and music???

Scroll to see replies

"Today, hippies in the UK can be found in parts of South West England, such as Bristol (particularly the neighborhoods of Montpelier, Stokes Croft, St Werburghs, Bishopston, Easton andTotterdown), Glastonbury in Somerset, Totnes in Devon, and Stroud in Gloucestershire, as well as in Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire, and in areas of London and Brighton. In the summer, many hippies and those of similar subcultures gather at numerous outdoor festivals in the countryside.
"

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie#Legacy
Original post by the bear
"Today, hippies in the UK can be found in parts of South West England, such as Bristol (particularly the neighborhoods of Montpelier, Stokes Croft, St Werburghs, Bishopston, Easton andTotterdown), Glastonbury in Somerset, Totnes in Devon, and Stroud in Gloucestershire, as well as in Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire, and in areas of London and Brighton. In the summer, many hippies and those of similar subcultures gather at numerous outdoor festivals in the countryside.
"

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie#Legacy

Thanks! I wonder the countryside!
I use the term 'hippy' loosely. I mean where would I meet girls that have a similar obsession as me with all things 60s and 70s such as television and music??? Music such as The Beatles, Madness, Mott the Hoople, and Television such as sitcoms like Steptoe and Son, The Likely Lads and Rising Damp.
Reply 4
Abroad, I'd say California.

I use the term 'hippy' loosely. I mean where would I meet girls that have a similar obsession as me with all things 60s and 70s such as television and music???

Reply 6
Original post by RetroDisco789
Thanks! I wonder the countryside!

The countryside is indeed full of wonder.

Are there any pubs near you that put on a lot of bands?

I'd frequent these places wearing band T shirts for some of the less obvious bands from the era you're interested in.

e.g. 60s 'The Seeds' or 'Love'

if you notice any attractive ladies checking out your T shirt go over and try talk to them - they are probably knowledgable in the music of the correct era and you'll ave a good chance of striking up a conversation with them.
Original post by Joinedup
Are there any pubs near you that put on a lot of bands?

I'd frequent these places wearing band T shirts for some of the less obvious bands from the era you're interested in.

e.g. 60s 'The Seeds' or 'Love'

if you notice any attractive ladies checking out your T shirt go over and try talk to them - they are probably knowledgable in the music of the correct era and you'll ave a good chance of striking up a conversation with them.

There's actually two places there is a 60s, 70s and 80s music bar and a cafe called the cavern which is sort of a Beatles museum
Reply 9
There's actually two places there is a 60s, 70s and 80s music bar and a cafe called the cavern which is sort of a Beatles museum

Are you in Liverpool? The Cavern *is* a Beatles museum, and live tribute venue for tourists.

For "real" hippies you want Grand Arcade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Are you in Liverpool? The Cavern *is* a Beatles museum, and live tribute venue for tourists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. This is a cafe by the same name with Beatles memorabilia on the walls.
No. This is a cafe by the same name with Beatles memorabilia on the walls.

Oh I used to live in Liverpool... but not very recently so possibly outdated information follows.

The Zanzibar and the Magnet used to be alright places for proper (i.e. pay to get in) small venue gigs. Barfly sort of OK but a bit corporate.

The 70s and 80s theme bars were pretty crusty IMO, your mileage might vary.

What I was really thinking of was pubs that put covers bands on to encourage punters to come in and drink beer. wont be full of people holding their mobiles in the air, you'll be able to hold a conversation, no one's likely to be really bothered about the band and if you don't like it you can leave without having paid to get in. Might do better for these places outside the main going out / tourist areas of a large city.
Original post by Joinedup
Oh I used to live in Liverpool... but not very recently so possibly outdated information follows.

The Zanzibar and the Magnet used to be alright places for proper (i.e. pay to get in) small venue gigs. Barfly sort of OK but a bit corporate.

The 70s and 80s theme bars were pretty crusty IMO, your mileage might vary.

What I was really thinking of was pubs that put covers bands on to encourage punters to come in and drink beer. wont be full of people holding their mobiles in the air, you'll be able to hold a conversation, no one's likely to be really bothered about the band and if you don't like it you can leave without having paid to get in. Might do better for these places outside the main going out / tourist areas of a large city.

I don't live in Liverpool but I have visited a few times.
Reply 14
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Cavern is a normal music venue mate, I've seen WASP there and the odd other metal band. Of course they have resident Beatles acts, but it's not all they cater to.

Also - Grand Central ;-)
Reply 15
Original post by gjd800
The Cavern is a normal music venue mate, I've seen WASP there and the odd other metal band. Of course they have resident Beatles acts, but it's not all they cater to.

Also - Grand Central ;-)

Ah yes Grand Central Arcade it is. It was basically shut when i visited recently...

Glad to hear The Cavern is still a proper music venue :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Instagram! it's great for meeting people who enjoy similar things to you
I feel like most white people are hippies in terms of fashion... maybe I'm just stereotyping

fml why wont it show the picture
Reply 19
Original post by Someboady
I feel like most white people are hippies in terms of fashion... maybe I'm just stereotyping

You blacks and your stereotyping...Gah!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending