The Student Room Group

Top up Degree after HND

hi, i am here because of my confusion as to if i am eligible to continue to top up my HND once i've completed.

As a recap, i took out an advanced learning loan of £2573 just to pay tuition fee for my part time study (3 months). Then i went on to full time studying HND course (2 years) with full funding of maintenance and grants as i am a single parent with 2 little ones.

Now i'm looking forward to topping up my HND with my first Bachelors Degree (1 year duration) at a university next year, so the famous question is, am i eligible for full funding for my top up year?

I have always wanted a degree as i missed out on my younger years and was delighted with the opportunity to "catch up" so to say. I have been given contradicting answers but i would like to know for sure. Any advise regarding this will be most appreciated!
Original post by Miss Laila
hi, i am here because of my confusion as to if i am eligible to continue to top up my HND once i've completed.

As a recap, i took out an advanced learning loan of £2573 just to pay tuition fee for my part time study (3 months). Then i went on to full time studying HND course (2 years) with full funding of maintenance and grants as i am a single parent with 2 little ones.

Now i'm looking forward to topping up my HND with my first Bachelors Degree (1 year duration) at a university next year, so the famous question is, am i eligible for full funding for my top up year?

I have always wanted a degree as i missed out on my younger years and was delighted with the opportunity to "catch up" so to say. I have been given contradicting answers but i would like to know for sure. Any advise regarding this will be most appreciated!

Top up years should be fully fundable (the only time when they're not is if the university/college concerned don't send the right details through to SLC/SFE).
Reply 2
The institution that i am completing my HND doesn't do the top up degree so i'm going to have to apply to another university, i'm not sure if that will make any difference to the eligibility and funding criteria.
Thank you for your time and response :smile:
Original post by Miss Laila
The institution that i am completing my HND doesn't do the top up degree so i'm going to have to apply to another university, i'm not sure if that will make any difference to the eligibility and funding criteria.
Thank you for your time and response :smile:

Just make sure to ask them whether they've had any problems with top up students getting funding in the past. If it's something they handle regularly with no problems then you should be fine (and any problems should be easily sorted out - it's just a case of being forewarned that there might some hassle in sorting out your funding - you ARE entitled to it :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending