erinhanson11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am struggling at the moment deciding what to do about uni and options. I applied for 5yr at RVC, Liverpool, Nottingham, gateway at Bristol and bioveterinary science at Liverpool. After interviews for all courses, I am left with bioveterinary science, animal science (offered in place of VetMed at Nottingham) and waiting to hear back from Bristol for Gateway (which I know I haven't got as offers have been sent out last week so assuming they're going to decline me sometime soon).

I feel so depressed to be honest about it all, because I am just not good enough for the course so it seems if I cannot get offers after interview for any of the unis. I really am questioning what to do, as veterinary medicine has been the goal since I was so small and there is nothing else that I want to do, or would be happy doing. A lot of people have said to look at doing biovet/animal science and applying post-grad, which is an option however is there less chance of getting a place post-grad? Is it worth pinning my hopes on applying post-grad or should I take a year out first? I understand it is self-funded but aside from this, what are the chances of getting a place after doing a degree?

I did around 12 weeks of work experience etc and due to living in such a small town I had to travel a lot to get a variety. I am going to really struggle finding more places if I decide to wait and re-apply next year and there's no guarantee I will financially be able to travel again to get a good mix this time around.

Can anyone give me advice about the possibility of applying post-grad, or is there anyone who was in a similar position who is now doing vetmed and can advise?
Thanks!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by erinhanson11)
I am struggling at the moment deciding what to do about uni and options. I applied for 5yr at RVC, Liverpool, Nottingham, gateway at Bristol and bioveterinary science at Liverpool. After interviews for all courses, I am left with bioveterinary science, animal science (offered in place of VetMed at Nottingham) and waiting to hear back from Bristol for Gateway (which I know I haven't got as offers have been sent out last week so assuming they're going to decline me sometime soon).

I feel so depressed to be honest about it all, because I am just not good enough for the course so it seems if I cannot get offers after interview for any of the unis. I really am questioning what to do, as veterinary medicine has been the goal since I was so small and there is nothing else that I want to do, or would be happy doing. A lot of people have said to look at doing biovet/animal science and applying post-grad, which is an option however is there less chance of getting a place post-grad? Is it worth pinning my hopes on applying post-grad or should I take a year out first? I understand it is self-funded but aside from this, what are the chances of getting a place after doing a degree?

I did around 12 weeks of work experience etc and due to living in such a small town I had to travel a lot to get a variety. I am going to really struggle finding more places if I decide to wait and re-apply next year and there's no guarantee I will financially be able to travel again to get a good mix this time around.

Can anyone give me advice about the possibility of applying post-grad, or is there anyone who was in a similar position who is now doing vetmed and can advise?
Thanks!
What was your feedback? If it were and it was still viable, then I would reapply.
afeatherofabird
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm so, so sorry; the application process for veterinary is brutal. I had to apply twice and take two gap years before I got in. So many people in my year (I am a first year student at Surrey) didnt get in the first time round! Remember the vet schools have thousands of applicants - there are so many good students who don't make the final cut unfortunately

Please don't be harsh on yourself- there are so many possible reasons why you didn't get interviews this year. It might have been your personal statement wasn't quite what they were looking for - did you get (vetty) people to look at it? Vet personal statements are a bit of an art really - I know on the vet med applicant groups on Facebook lots of vet students are happy to help you with them. School teachers tend to not understand how to do them properly unfortunately!
My statement for my second application got me four interviews - I would be very happy to email it over if you would PM me

I'm assuming your grades and work experience etc meeted the requirements for each uni too?

As you've said, post grad is self funded - for this reason alone, I would avoid this route if at all possible. Honestly, my advice would be to take a gap year and try again - it is one year of your whole life, that will save you years of heartache and stress over money! You have this whole summer to get in more work experience if there's a particular area you feel might have been lacking.

A gap year will also give you a chance to develop yourself - I certainly became more confident in myself over my gap years, I highly recommend taking one

I really understand how difficult this time must be for you - please feel free to PM me as I understand what you're going through!
everested
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is applying abroad an option for you?
wittsend90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do not fret and do not give up!!!! I got rejected from all but one university when I applied to the UK universities and it was gutwrenching/heart-breaking. I decided to do a year of science at Trinity College Dublin and weigh up my options then instead of doing a gap year. I decided to study veterinary in Budapest and I absolutely do not regret that decision.
I was close to giving up but I knew that veterinary was all I wanted to do. Do not be so hard on yourself and while you might think that these rejections are a failure in your eyes, they definitely are not in anyone elses eyes. I would think if you were to talk to any current vet students, there would be a high proportion of them who did not succeed straight away. If veterinary is what you want to do and all you have ever wanted to do, do not give up and do not be afraid of rejection!
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A lot of people have said to look at doing biovet/animal science and applying post-grad, which is an option however is there less chance of getting a place post-grad? Is it worth pinning my hopes on applying post-grad or should I take a year out first? I understand it is self-funded but aside from this, what are the chances of getting a place after doing a degree?
It is still competitive to get into cheaper unis post grad and you need minimum grades in whatever degree you took (currently you will need to find a minimum of £9,000+ a year upfront (may increase in future, other unis charge even more than this!). There is no funding for post grad courses and you will struggle to get that money by working alongside a full time degree.

Liverpool would have definately wanted more (varied) work experience as there is such a huge emphasis on that. Most people getting into Liverpool have 15+ weeks although this varies.
A lot of farms will let you live free of charge in return for labour.
Other options is to go camping/youth hostels to get to other places, as well as staying at friends of friends places etc.
If you need to pay for travel ect then a part time job would help you lots. I had to work to afford bus/train costs and would commute 2 hours or longer to get to where I needed to be.

Lots of good people don't get into vet med first time. A lot of people take gap years, get more work exp/improve their application and apply again. Ask for feedback from everywhere to give you an idea of where you can improve.

It really is just SO competitive. Many people who don't get in would make great vets so please don't take it personally.
Lizziefickling
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks!
Hi, first of all don't get down over this, I had loads of interviews and I kept being rejected but I picked myself up and tried again. I had to apply to vet school three times before I was finally offered a place, so believe me, it can be done.

Post grad is a long way around doing it, as well as the fact you have no funding for fees so you have to pay a min of £9000 a year yourself for 4/5 or even 6 years depending on where you do vet med post grad. I've now been at uni 6 years, and it's tiring, however it will be worth it in 2 years time when I graduate.

It is although no easier to get in as a graduate, you are interviewed the same as school leavers, and there are no set number of places specifically for grad students, unless you apply for the 4 year graduate course at the universities that offer it. You are however slightly older and you will have more experience behind you than someone from school.

I applied in the October of my third year of university and after interviews I was rejected still even then from all 4 universities, however I took it as a learning experience and I was actually much more confident when I applied the third time, and I was offered a place at liverpool, so it can be done.

Take the interviews this time round as a learning experience, you've experienced interviews now, and you know ultimately what to expect from them. Make sure you ask each university for feedback as to why you didn't get offered a place, liverpool will provide you with pretty good feedback, as will Bristol. Nottingham have also provided feedback in the past to students to make sure you ask all three places, then once you've got a good idea of why you didn't manage to get an offer you can decide on whether to try again in October or do a degree and veterinary post-grad. If it's a matter of lack of confidence then that can be solved with lots of practice, just don't let this bad experience put you off, if I had allowed it to I wouldn't be a third year at vet school now so keep your head held high, you can do it!

If you need any more advice feel free to pm me I'm happy to help

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.31%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.75%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (381)
49.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed