The Student Room Group

Regretting my A-level choices

I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, psychology and sociology.

I only chose chemistry because I wanted to apply for medicine at uni, otherwise I never really had that much of an interest in it at GCSE level. However, I'm really starting to like it, I can see why people think that it's an interesting subject. The problem? I'm absoultely horrible at it, I'm definitely not very chemistry-savvy and hence got a U for my mock. Because of this, I've decided to drop it at AS level (as I dont want it to interfere with my other subjects at A2).

The overall problem? I basically regret choosing most of my subjects. If I had a choice now, I would choose Psychology, History, Philosophy and Ethics, and Classics (so all but one subject).

I now want to apply to do Psychology and/or Philosophy at uni.

What would you do if you were in my position? Would you simply hold on for another one and a half years with the subjects you don't enjoy, then apply to uni anyway? Or would you redo both years?

P.S.: If you're in a similar situation, what are your current subjects, what do you wish you had initially chosen, and what are you going to do about it?
Reply 1
I'm sure with just biology, psychology and sociology you can get into uni to study psychology/philosophy. Your problem lies in what university. If you're looking at rankings (not always the best) then you could potentially be limited. But I don't know the entry requirements so who knows. Do what you feel is best and if you feel okay with redoing them, then do just that and enjoy your A Levels.
Reply 2
Original post by David B
I'm sure with just biology, psychology and sociology you can get into uni to study psychology/philosophy. Your problem lies in what university. If you're looking at rankings (not always the best) then you could potentially be limited. But I don't know the entry requirements so who knows. Do what you feel is best and if you feel okay with redoing them, then do just that and enjoy your A Levels.

Thank you!!
Reply 3
Original post by ecemyasar
I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, psychology and sociology.

I only chose chemistry because I wanted to apply for medicine at uni, otherwise I never really had that much of an interest in it at GCSE level. However, I'm really starting to like it, I can see why people think that it's an interesting subject. The problem? I'm absoultely horrible at it, I'm definitely not very chemistry-savvy and hence got a U for my mock. Because of this, I've decided to drop it at AS level (as I dont want it to interfere with my other subjects at A2).

The overall problem? I basically regret choosing most of my subjects. If I had a choice now, I would choose Psychology, History, Philosophy and Ethics, and Classics (so all but one subject).

I now want to apply to do Psychology and/or Philosophy at uni.

What would you do if you were in my position? Would you simply hold on for another one and a half years with the subjects you don't enjoy, then apply to uni anyway? Or would you redo both years?

P.S.: If you're in a similar situation, what are your current subjects, what do you wish you had initially chosen, and what are you going to do about it?

Have you spoken to your school? It may be possible to get some of your subjects swapped especially if you argue that the subject choices will impact your ability to do well in exams (if you're not interested in the subject, then it can be extremely hard to motivate yourself into doing the work / putting the effort in with revision). Look up the entry requirements of courses you are interested in as well, it's possible that they may not even specify specific subjects. Really look into the courses - see what the modules are, what sort of job you could get with the degree etc. Consider just going to a university's list of undergraduate courses and making your way through the list. Reading more about the courses that sound interesting. If you need specific subjects, and your school won't allow you to sit those subjects then consider redoing the year/s.
Reply 4
Original post by EmmaCx
Have you spoken to your school? It may be possible to get some of your subjects swapped especially if you argue that the subject choices will impact your ability to do well in exams (if you're not interested in the subject, then it can be extremely hard to motivate yourself into doing the work / putting the effort in with revision). Look up the entry requirements of courses you are interested in as well, it's possible that they may not even specify specific subjects. Really look into the courses - see what the modules are, what sort of job you could get with the degree etc. Consider just going to a university's list of undergraduate courses and making your way through the list. Reading more about the courses that sound interesting. If you need specific subjects, and your school won't allow you to sit those subjects then consider redoing the year/s.

I could perhaps consider talking to my school, but I doubt they would let me redo a whole year over gain, considering that my AS exams are next month and I want to change most of my subjects. Thank you for your suggestions though!!
after gcse you are entitled to 3 years of free education, so you have a few options. you could ask to restart a-levels next year with the new subjects, arguing you will get better results and thus go to a better uni. but also university of sussex and bristol (both russel group from my understanding) do a foundation year in arts and humanities which you could apply to straight after a-levels and thus probably get free. this gives you admittance to a range of arts and humanities degrees at the institution you did the foundation at and i believe can also be used to apply to various other institutions.
I'm studying psychology, sociology, english and maths at AS right now, wanting to do psychology at uni. If you want to do psychology at uni you should be fine carrying on with those three but if you want to do philosophy it might be beneficial to go back and do that, but not essential
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest