The Student Room Group

A* Biology Off Spec Facts

As a studrnt aiming for an A* in biology, I have bern adviced to kearn some off spec facts to make the synoptic essay a cut above the rest.However, I am having difficulty finding some for many of the topic areas.

Here are a few of my own to get things started:

-Replication of DNA on lagging strand occurs in sections called Okazaki Fragments

-Upon formation of pre-mrba it is further modified with a methylated cap.Rhis allows it to diffuse out of nuclear pore.

Pre-mrna is further modified with a poly adenine tail bythe enzyme poly-A polymerase.This influences the length of time the RNA can exist outside the nuclear before being degraded by enzymes

-Totipotent cells are different pluripotent stem cells in that they are responsible for the formation of the throphoblast and the inner cell mass.Remaining celks are pluripotent and tbe inner cell mass will follow different germ lines.

-Maximum amount of mitosis for any one cell called the Hayflick Limit.

Again ANY additional facts would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Just be sure that they are of A-level standard.
What grade did you get in bio?
Original post by username2021515
As a studrnt aiming for an A* in biology, I have bern adviced to kearn some off spec facts to make the synoptic essay a cut above the rest.However, I am having difficulty finding some for many of the topic areas.

Here are a few of my own to get things started:

-Replication of DNA on lagging strand occurs in sections called Okazaki Fragments

-Upon formation of pre-mrba it is further modified with a methylated cap.Rhis allows it to diffuse out of nuclear pore.

Pre-mrna is further modified with a poly adenine tail bythe enzyme poly-A polymerase.This influences the length of time the RNA can exist outside the nuclear before being degraded by enzymes

-Totipotent cells are different pluripotent stem cells in that they are responsible for the formation of the throphoblast and the inner cell mass.Remaining celks are pluripotent and tbe inner cell mass will follow different germ lines.

-Maximum amount of mitosis for any one cell called the Hayflick Limit.

Again ANY additional facts would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Just be sure that they are of A-level standard.

I've done a Bachelors degree in Medical Science and a Masters degree in Biosciences. On the genetics or medical front, I can give you any facts you want. Would help if you had specific areas you might want facts on, then we might be able to help you better.

Also if im honest, focus on making sure you can describe the content well first before trying to delve into this. Its best to learn to walk before you can run. Its better to get a solid A with none of this extra reading, than focus on it too much and potentially affect your grade negatively.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending