Strange Buffer Question - any ideas? Watch

BeckaH2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I need to compare the following buffer solutions:
- 25cm3 of 0.1moldm-3 ethanoic acid and 25cm3 of 0.1moldm-3 sodium ethanoate (equimolar concentrations).
- 25cm3 of 0.01moldm-3 ethanoic acid and 25cm3 of 0.1moldm-3 sodium ethanoate (NOT equimolar concentrations).

The pH of the equimolar buffer was 4.48, the pH of the non-equimolar buffer was 5.63.

When 1cm3 or 1moldm-3 HCl was added to both buffers, the equimolar buffer pH changed to 4.47. In the non-equimolar buffer, the pH changed more significantly to 5.45.

I need to explain the chemistry behind why the non-equimolar buffer was less effective (in terms of how the position of equilibrium changed etc.)

Any ideas?
username986184
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BeckaH2)
Hi,

I need to compare the following buffer solutions:
- 25cm3 of 0.1moldm-3 ethanoic acid and 25cm3 of 0.1moldm-3 sodium ethanoate (equimolar concentrations).
- 25cm3 of 0.01moldm-3 ethanoic acid and 25cm3 of 0.1moldm-3 sodium ethanoate (NOT equimolar concentrations).

The pH of the equimolar buffer was 4.48, the pH of the non-equimolar buffer was 5.63.

When 1cm3 or 1moldm-3 HCl was added to both buffers, the equimolar buffer pH changed to 4.47. In the non-equimolar buffer, the pH changed more significantly to 5.45.

I need to explain the chemistry behind why the non-equimolar buffer was less effective (in terms of how the position of equilibrium changed etc.)

Any ideas?
This is an interesting question. The bottom line is buffering capacity is greatest when the concentration of HA and A- is the same, as in the first scenario. With the second scenario there is much more A- than HA and the pH shifts to a greater extent.

Using the numbers given for scenario 1 the ratio of A-/HA goes from 1 to 0.96. For scenario 2 the ratio of A-/HA goes from 10 to 8.17, a much greater change.
BeckaH2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I agree with this "With the second scenario there is much more A- than HA and the pH shifts to a greater extent." but surely if HA is limited and A- is in excess, then adding HCl would actually sort of counter the lack of HA? Why is the system less able to respond than an equimolar?
username986184
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BeckaH2)
I agree with this "With the second scenario there is much more A- than HA and the pH shifts to a greater extent." but surely if HA is limited and A- is in excess, then adding HCl would actually sort of counter the lack of HA? Why is the system less able to respond than an equimolar?
Here's a good explanation. Stick with it.

http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/q...-e-when-a-ha-1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed