The Student Room Group

English Literature Help!!

I am starting my English Literature coursework and I am stuck on an introduction and I cannot start. This is the question:

By comparing McEwan and Plath’s presentation of female characters how far can it be said that the women, in literature are often shown to conform to contemporary social conventions?

Anybody who could give me tips or an idea on how to start would be really useful. I want to argue that Plath is an 'outsider' and challenges the contemporary view of women and that McEwan was writing decades later and so his representations are shaped by later changes of attitudes.
Hi!

That sounds like a really juicy topic, but I'm going to assume that it's just the introduction that has you stuck? You have already got your own viewpoint on the question, this doesn't always need to go in the introduction though. Have you started your paragraphs? Some people I know prefer to go back to their introduction after writing their paragraphs so they know what they need to include.

That being said, often it's pretty good when you just incorporate the question into your introduction. Do you have your paragraphs planned? By this I'm referring to how you are going to interpret the question because there are lots of different stances you can take.

I'd love to help you with your introduction, but I might need a few more details if that's okay ...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest