The Student Room Group

Is it useful to take Maths as a whole A level or just to have an AS in it?

Hi,

I'm currently in Year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths & Psychology for my AS Levels and I've been hearing and seeing that when applying for Medicine, maths is useful but I don't understand why & how. So will it be useful to take Maths as a whole A Level or just drop it & have an AS?

Thanks
No med school states a requirement or even slight desire for maths at AS or A2. Only Cambridge states a desire for 3 'sciences', which can include maths.

There is some limited evidence that those who have maths do better in the BMAT. For this purpose, it would seem logical that the AS would have the bigger impact, but its hard to know for sure.

What we do know for sure is that all med schools require at least AAA and failing to get that would land you in big trouble.
Maths does make some elements easier (e.g. calculus can be used in drug delivery calculations) but it isn't necessary, and if it's not your strong point I heavily advise against it.

If you're insistent, AS is plenty.
Original post by SkyRees
Maths does make some elements easier (e.g. calculus can be used in drug delivery calculations) but it isn't necessary, and if it's not your strong point I heavily advise against it.

If you're insistent, AS is plenty.

Lol...do you think each time we write a prescription or draw up drugs we've personally used calculus to derive the dosage?
Original post by Democracy
Lol...do you think each time we write a prescription or draw up drugs we've personally used calculus to derive the dosage?

I was being a good biologist and just regurgitating what I've been taught :lol:
Original post by SkyRees
I was being a good biologist and just regurgitating what I've been taught :lol:

It does feature, but in a very applied way so you don't really need to know the very advanced maths behind it in order to make a clinical decision. In much the same way that you don't need to know the advanced chemical properties of a drug in order to be able to know when it's safe and appropriate to prescribe it and when it's not.

Quick Reply

Latest