The Student Room Group

Brexit worries of an EU national

Scroll to see replies

Quietdown there, haven't you heard, doubting Brexit makes you a swivel-eyed communist loon who hates Britain and wants to commit white genocide by immigration... or something like that...
Original post by NotPCDW
Well we managed to deport that terrorist in the end but the supreme court should be soveirgn for each and every nation this is all part of the elites plan for a world wide one government.

It is all very well changing the law to deport people, but what does one do if no one will have them?

Original post by NotPCDW
We have enough employment rights its OTT as it is try running a business with all the red tape the EU gives you

Can we lay this red tape thing to rest please? By red tape, I presume you mean, the law. Would you rather do away with the law that protects business interests? The law that prevents people copying trademarks, backing out of contracts, paying bills etc etc?

Outside of the EU, red tape will still be an issue for business. In the late 80's, early 90's the press had a field day moaning about all the "red tape" imposed by the UK government on British companies.

And just for the record. Could you please name one single piece of EU legislation (red tape) you feel is over the top?
Reply 22
Original post by mojojojo101
Quietdown there, haven't you heard, doubting Brexit makes you a swivel-eyed communist loon who hates Britain and wants to commit white genocide by immigration... or something like that...

I do not understand the youth of Britain. In most other countries the youngest are the most eurosceptic, you can not even call me a fantasist for this because even the BBC who are into propaganda for the liberal elite have acknowledged this 57% of under 25's in the EU feel socially excluded, and feel that the EU is to blame, In Greece it is even higher. I never said anyone was a communist for liking the EU, on the positive side of the coin it was good for trade for Europe, but it could of been a lot lot better.
Reply 23
Original post by ByEeek
It is all very well changing the law to deport people, but what does one do if no one will have them?

Can we lay this red tape thing to rest please? By red tape, I presume you mean, the law. Would you rather do away with the law that protects business interests? The law that prevents people copying trademarks, backing out of contracts, paying bills etc etc?

Outside of the EU, red tape will still be an issue for business. In the late 80's, early 90's the press had a field day moaning about all the "red tape" imposed by the UK government on British companies.

And just for the record. Could you please name one single piece of EU legislation (red tape) you feel is over the top?

If no one will have them and they are convicted terrorists , reinstate the death penalty.

I will get back to you on the EU law one...

The main reason i voted out was to stop mass immigration and to stop having our public services raped. There is actually one piece of article which has called for a united states of Europe.
Original post by cemsimon
Hi everyone!

So I've seen here on TSR that there are individuals who are very very very excited for the Brexit, and as an EU national planning on studying in the UK, I thought that I'd share the other side of the coin.

I get that the UK is tired of paying membership fees (which is funding things that the UK ALSO benefits from) and trade deals the were "forced" into by the EU, and of course... national sovereignty.
Oh, and one more thing, you seem to worry an awful lot about jobs and immigration, well guess what? The rest of the EU has it just as bad/worse because the UK seems to forget it's an island which makes it harder for immigrants to go to the UK, especially since they negotiated border deals with France (sigh) to move the border on the French coastline to avoid the migrant problem. Just a small reminder, the UK basically caused all the problems in Africa and the Middle East by imperialism and just abandoning these places after letting them gain their independence.

But then there are also advantages to being part of the EU. Like for example, university funding, the Brexit caused some unis to place campuses in France and other EU countries in order to keep that funding!
The EU trade market represents 25% of the world's GDP and the UK won't be able to negotiate independent trade deals with each of the EU member states because that's how article 50 works.
Also, worker's rights were guaranteed by the EU through means like the maximum amount of work hours, guaranteed annual leave, paid maternity leave, etc. which may be modified to a disadvantage of the British worker.
There is also a strong chance, that after leaving the EU, UK nationals may need to have visas for the Schengen zone, as this is one thing that needs to be negotiated with the EU.

So coming back to my point. I'm going to probably be in the UK this September for uni, and knowing that my future as an EU national is in some sort of jeopardy that seems to stress me out more than it should be. It's things like tuition fees, accessibility to certain things, rights as a foreign student, those types of things I'm worried about in the aftermath of the Brexit

What country are you from?
Is this meant to be persuasive because the way you have written it displays your lack of knowledge and more importantly it is more likely to get peoples backs up?

It is very ill informed. If you dont like it then study elsewhere.

If you had just posted normally then people might have bothered to explain what the situation is with brexit and EU students plus they could have posted some reassuring opinion on how you might be affected or not. Similar to all the other EU students that have posted and people have taken the time to inform and reassure them.
Hi, I'm sorry you felt that way with my post. As a French national, this is how the Brexit was presented to us and I agree to a certain extent with what you are saying.
There are just some points "leave" voters defend that I strongly do not agree with. And otherwise, I don't see why I can't present strong opinions whereas a pro-leave voter can, but that's not the point
Yet with my situation, my future in .the UK is uncertain with the brexit, all the way down the line to tuition fees, personal rights, and even residency. I know this sounds incredibly selfish, but I need to think of my situation too.
I respect your opinion, I didn't mean to make it sound that way, I'll go back and edit it right away, and I apologise for how I came off.

1. You appear to be debating with a troll.
2. You dont have anything to worry about imo regarding uni fees. We will not have left the EU by the time you start and you will get full funding for your degree 99%.
Original post by NotPCDW

In terms of employment rights we will be fine, any laws which work well we can write into UK law, actually we could make them better if we wanted to, I'm not that worried about it.

With a Tory government hell-bent on dissolving so many EU mandates (like retirement age, maternity and sickness provision, environmental protection and renewable subsidiaries) I think you should be a LOT worried about the current govt. having free reign to write whatever they want into law and leave out the protections they don't like. It's a HUGE concern.
Reply 27
Original post by thedevotchka
With a Tory government hell-bent on dissolving so many EU mandates (like retirement age, maternity and sickness provision, environmental protection and renewable subsidiaries) I think you should be a LOT worried about the current govt. having free reign to write whatever they want into law and leave out the protections they don't like. It's a HUGE concern.

Not for me I would rather die at work than have mass immigration.
Original post by NotPCDW
Not for me I would rather die at work than have mass immigration.

Immigration will continue until our economy tanks at which point, you won't have a job anyway.
Reply 29
In terms of crackers laws how's about the whislteblower who said that 95% of the EU's expenditure is unaccounted for, this may not be a law but when you take into consideration that EUCJ 274/99 outlawed the ability to criticise the European Union please see the court case i have linked.

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/showPdf.jsf?docid=46230&doclang=en
The thing OP has to realise and accept is that the Referendum was a vote for UK nationals to decide the future of THEIR country within or out of the EU. How the majority of those people voted and the reasons, is quite frankly, none of her business.
Reply 31
Original post by ByEeek
Immigration will continue until our economy tanks at which point, you won't have a job anyway.

I already have a job. Having mass immigration you could argue is not good for the public services economy and here is why, you may argue that the NHS has european doctors but, mass immigration means that services need to be distributed amongst more people not less If you look at total Immigration of the last 5 years we have had a net immigration total of 1 million- this has added an extra 1 million service users to the NHS- I'm not going to go into housing, as you did a great job of interpreting my posts all wrong on the other topic. We are losing our identity and i find that more important than the economy. If i could have a recession and it meant no immigration for 10 years i would do it in a heartbeat to maintain our identity. I understand why people who do not have jobs heavily criticise immigration and that's because experienced europeans are taking jobs away from our youth because some of them work cash in hand below the minimum wage and this causes an unfair playing field in favour for the migrants, our country is only designed for 50 million people max. Sacrificing social purity for diversity and a bit more money is not a good thing.
Original post by NotPCDW
I already have a job. Having mass immigration you could argue is not good for the public services economy and here is why, you may argue that the NHS has european doctors but, mass immigration means that services need to be distributed amongst more people not less If you look at total Immigration of the last 5 years we have had a net immigration total of 1 million- this has added an extra 1 million service users to the NHS- I'm not going to go into housing, as you did a great job of interpreting my posts all wrong on the other topic. We are losing our identity and i find that more important than the economy. If i could have a recession and it meant no immigration for 10 years i would do it in a heartbeat to maintain our identity. I understand why people who do not have jobs heavily criticise immigration and that's because experienced europeans are taking jobs away from our youth because some of them work cash in hand below the minimum wage and this causes an unfair playing field in favour for the migrants, our country is only designed for 50 million people max. Sacrificing social purity for diversity and a bit more money is not a good thing.

Yep. All valid assumptions. However, those who have conducted rigorous analyses of this kind of thing have all concluded that immigration is at best of benefit to the economy and at worst, neutral.

The squeeze on services is down to the government having capped public spending for the last 8 years or so. Costs and inflation have gone up where as the amount of money being spent has stayed the same or been reduced. Nothing to do with immigration.
Original post by NotPCDW
I do not understand the youth of Britain. In most other countries the youngest are the most eurosceptic, you can not even call me a fantasist for this because even the BBC who are into propaganda for the liberal elite have acknowledged this 57% of under 25's in the EU feel socially excluded, and feel that the EU is to blame, In Greece it is even higher. I never said anyone was a communist for liking the EU, on the positive side of the coin it was good for trade for Europe, but it could of been a lot lot better.

Young people in the UK are in a different situation to those in Southern Europe especially. In Southern Europe the main problems have been caused by the neo-liberal economics of the EU imposing austerity in the Eurozone. We shouldn't forget that the EU helped, along with the ECB, the IMF and other large economic organisations to hold Greece to ransom until Syriza agreed to sign up to austerity, breaking their manifesto pledge to the Greek people.

In the UK young people have firstly been insulated from the Euro crises and secondly have a lot more problems that are caused not by the EU but by the government in Westminster. Be that no living wage and less benefits for the under 25s, exorbitant house prices and rent, rising student fees or the difficulty getting into the workplace. I think many people see the EU (rightly or wrongly) as protecting them against the ills of the government that is actually hurting them.
Just remember this OP. Nick Griffin promised every foreign national £50K who wanted to leave as long as they didn't return, and now Theresa May might kick you out if the EU doesn't give a good deal without any payola whatsoever, so who's the real bad guy?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Correctthink
Just remember this OP. Nick Griffin promised every foreign national £50K who wanted to leave as long as they didn't return, and now Theresa May might kick you out if the EU doesn't give a good deal without any payola whatsoever, so who's the real bad guy?

Griffin was not as socially right wing as other
Bnp leaders
Hi, I'm sorry you felt that way with my post. As a French national, this is how the Brexit was presented to us and I agree to a certain extent with what you are saying.
There are just some points "leave" voters defend that I strongly do not agree with. And otherwise, I don't see why I can't present strong opinions whereas a pro-leave voter can, but that's not the point
Yet with my situation, my future in .the UK is uncertain with the brexit, all the way down the line to tuition fees, personal rights, and even residency. I know this sounds incredibly selfish, but I need to think of my situation too.
I respect your opinion, I didn't mean to make it sound that way, I'll go back and edit it right away, and I apologise for how I came off.

The point being, you can have as many opinions as you want. It doesn't count, you're not a British national. You have based your opinions solely on what you stand to lose. Wether I voted leave/remain is irrelevant. The decision has been made and we will do just fine! As a French national, why don't you go to uni in France instead? Focus your energies on improving your own country, we can manage ours thanks
Reply 37
Original post by ByEeek
Yep. All valid assumptions. However, those who have conducted rigorous analyses of this kind of thing have all concluded that immigration is at best of benefit to the economy and at worst, neutral.

The squeeze on services is down to the government having capped public spending for the last 8 years or so. Costs and inflation have gone up where as the amount of money being spent has stayed the same or been reduced. Nothing to do with immigration.

The higher the immigration and the less budget assigned, the more strained services are, i am not on a computer the moment so i will give hypothetical example

Lets pretend that we have a budget of 100,000,000 for the nhs- just to make it easy calculate. The current population is 50,000,000 so that is £2 per person ( the real figures are much higher, just cant access them ATM). 5 years later and due to the natural population increase aswell as immigration your population is now 52,000,000 - the budget has frozen and it caters for more people so in real terms the budget has decreased.
Original post by NotPCDW

Lets pretend that we have a budget of 100,000,000 for the nhs- just to make it easy calculate. The current population is 50,000,000 so that is £2 per person ( the real figures are much higher, just cant access them ATM). 5 years later and due to the natural population increase aswell as immigration your population is now 52,000,000 - the budget has frozen and it caters for more people so in real terms the budget has decreased.

Your exceedingly simplistic example is indeed true. However, you haven't taken into account the fact that since there are immigrants, business can invest and expand because there is a skilled workforce to take advantage of. As a result, the economy has grown and similarly, unemployment has fallen. Tax receipts are up but despite this, the government has decided to reduce the deficit, continue to keep defence and the overseas aid budget as a proportion of GDP and a whole load of other political decisions.

The squeeze on public services has nothing to do with with population and everything to do with the political decisions made by government. The government could choose to continue spending your hypothetical £2 per person on the NHS based on the current population. They choose not to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending