The Student Room Group

Not sure what A-levels to pick

I have a dilemma about which A-levels to pick next year. Although I don't officially have to choose my A-levels until the end of August, I would prefer to plan in advance.

I'm hoping to do a degree in Biomedical Sciences (or something similar), and I've decided on Biology and Chemistry as my first two subjects. My dilemma is that I am interested in studying Psychology (which wasn't offered as a GCSE at my school, otherwise I would have taken it as a GCSE), but my parents are encouraging me to take Maths instead, since they believe it would be very useful (or possibly even necessary) for when I go to University. I don't mind Maths, and I'm relatively good at it, but I'm concerned that either the course will be too difficult, or that I won't enjoy it very much and regret not taking Psychology. The issue with taking Psychology is that I want to take it mostly for the purpose of my own enjoyment, rather than to aid my further studies/career.

The obvious solution would be to take both subjects and end up with four A-levels, but I would prefer not to do that because I've heard that taking four A-levels is very stressful and time-consuming.

There's a possibility that I could take an AS level in either Maths or Psychology during my first year (in case you didn't already know, taking an extra As level during the first year is no longer compulsory). Is it worth doing this, or should I just pick three subjects?
Original post by charisj123
I have a dilemma about which A-levels to pick next year. Although I don't officially have to choose my A-levels until the end of August, I would prefer to plan in advance.

I'm hoping to do a degree in Biomedical Sciences (or something similar), and I've decided on Biology and Chemistry as my first two subjects. My dilemma is that I am interested in studying Psychology (which wasn't offered as a GCSE at my school, otherwise I would have taken it as a GCSE), but my parents are encouraging me to take Maths instead, since they believe it would be very useful (or possibly even necessary) for when I go to University. I don't mind Maths, and I'm relatively good at it, but I'm concerned that either the course will be too difficult, or that I won't enjoy it very much and regret not taking Psychology. The issue with taking Psychology is that I want to take it mostly for the purpose of my own enjoyment, rather than to aid my further studies/career.

The obvious solution would be to take both subjects and end up with four A-levels, but I would prefer not to do that because I've heard that taking four A-levels is very stressful and time-consuming.

There's a possibility that I could take an AS level in either Maths or Psychology during my first year (in case you didn't already know, taking an extra As level during the first year is no longer compulsory). Is it worth doing this, or should I just pick three subjects?

Take four to AS, then drop the one you don't enjoy. Or drop it before you get to the end of the year, but if you are unsure then there's no harm in starting with 4.
Reply 2
In a similar position, but unfortunately due to the new Linear A Levels it might not be possible to drop it after AS as I guess you've realised. I'd recommend doing Maths A2 and then only doing Psychology to AS.
u sound more clvr den me
Reply 4
Maths isn’t a requirement for Medicine. At least not right not. A-Levels are very difficult and if you don’t enjoy the subject a lot now then I wouldn’t consider taking it at A-Level - you need to really assess how much you truly like maths. I think psychology would be a nice break from the other 2 and personally the better choice imo but it’s completely up to you. You’re better of studying something you enjoy than something that will look good, because the chances are both of those options will get you where you want to get to. Best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest