is it worth me taking antidepressants Watch

subzero6661
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
is it worth me taking meds to deal with depression and suicidal feelings if it means theres a chance of it making me infertile? because right now the only thing that i want is to find a wife and produce a child, i feel like having someone to really love and take care of is the purpose of my life
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wasn't aware that antidepressants can make you infertile. Which one were you thinking of?

If you are worried about it, you could freeze your sperm so if anything does happen you could still have a child in the future?
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by subzero6661)
is it worth me taking meds to deal with depression and suicidal feelings if it means theres a chance of it making me infertile? because right now the only thing that i want is to find a wife and produce a child, i feel like having someone to really love and take care of is the purpose of my life
Might be something to discuss with your doctor. I've not heard of that side effect before so it may not be an issues, but if it is for some you could look into ones where is it isn't or look into a precaution measure like freezing your sperm.
There is obviously also the option of not taking ADs and just having therapy.
Whatever you choose to do I suggest you also have therapy. It helps to solidify improvements, prevent relapse etc.

Personally I would seriously consider the ADs (maybe try just therapy first) on the grounds that suicidal thoughts etc won't exactly put you in the best position to have kids, but with more stable mental health you would be in a much better position, even if it meant adopting or using frozen sperm.

Good luck making the decision and with your mh
JordanL_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know about infertility, but most antidepressants (some more than others) will kill your sex drive. I'm on duloxetine and on the rare occasion I manage a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:, I hardly feel it.

That said, treatment is really important. Have you considered therapy? You should definitely try it, but you need to be able to engage with it. If you don't feel up to that, ask your GP about antidepressants that have less effect on sex drive. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is one, but I don't know if they prescribe that for depression, and if they do it will need to be by a psychiatrist. Ask your GP for a referral to a psych, but keep in mind that it can take months.

In the mean time you could look into using a supplement. There's some evidence that 5-HTP and St John's Wort (you can get them from Amazon or Holland and Barrett) can help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (369)
67.21%
No (180)
32.79%

Watched Threads