Received all my offers but IELTS score is too low for some.. clearance?

Watch this thread
Alpine
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there!

In a slightly weird situation. Applied for History of Art and received offers from Glasgow, Leeds, Aberdeen, Leicester and UEA - obviously I'm super happy about this but I recently sat my IELTS exams (I'm a Chinese girl studying in Beijing) and I hit a 6.0 overall.

Glasgow, Leicester and UEA all require a 6.5. This was such a freak result - I was expecting much higher (around a 7.0).

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to retake my IELTS so I'll have to make do with this situation. Im in a slightly unique position, in that I've already met the academic side of the offer - it's just this IELTS result which is now lacking.

I was wondering if anyone might know if it's worth:

A) Contacting Glasgow (my first choice) and asking if they will still take me with this result.

B) Contacting some other unis who only require a 6.0 IELTS score and asking if they will consider an application, now - through clearance. Or do I need to wait until after May?

I would really appreciate any advice anyone has or if anyone can recommend the right approach. I'm kind of on my own as none of my tutors know what the situation is like in the U.K. and what's acceptable.

Thanks so much in advance!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alpine)
Hi there!

In a slightly weird situation. Applied for History of Art and received offers from Glasgow, Leeds, Aberdeen, Leicester and UEA - obviously I'm super happy about this but I recently sat my IELTS exams (I'm a Chinese girl studying in Beijing) and I hit a 6.0 overall.

Glasgow, Leicester and UEA all require a 6.5. This was such a freak result - I was expecting much higher (around a 7.0).

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to retake my IELTS so I'll have to make do with this situation. Im in a slightly unique position, in that I've already met the academic side of the offer - it's just this IELTS result which is now lacking.

I was wondering if anyone might know if it's worth:

A) Contacting Glasgow (my first choice) and asking if they will still take me with this result.

B) Contacting some other unis who only require a 6.0 IELTS score and asking if they will consider an application, now - through clearance. Or do I need to wait until after May?

I would really appreciate any advice anyone has or if anyone can recommend the right approach. I'm kind of on my own as none of my tutors know what the situation is like in the U.K. and what's acceptable.

Thanks so much in advance!

Yezi
Universities can be quite strict on English language requirements, you can ask your firm however clearing won't be open until July.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Retake IELTS.

Yes, it is actually that simple.
Alpine
Rep:
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Retake IELTS.

Yes, it is actually that simple.
I wish I could! I would jump at the opportunity but it's just not possible as it stands. Thank you for this reply though.
ComEng
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I think some universities offers pre-sessional English course. Ask them about it.

I did a quick search for Glasgow uni. and here what I found
http://www.gla.ac.uk/international/e...nglishcourses/
Alpine
Rep:
(Original post by claireestelle)
Universities can be quite strict on English language requirements, you can ask your firm however clearing won't be open until July.
Yeah, this is what I thought! I'm expecting them to turn me down but my previous IELTS results are (ironically) higher than this..

Thanks for the advice about clearance! Didn't realize it was in July.

I'll definitely follow up with Glasgow now and see what they say.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I wish I could! I would jump at the opportunity but it's just not possible as it stands.
Why not? This is all that is standing in your way. And you can't expect Universities to accept you with low IELTS results when you could just retake it before August.
stanleysukanto
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, this is what I thought! I'm expecting them to turn me down but my previous IELTS results are (ironically) higher than this..

Thanks for the advice about clearance! Didn't realize it was in July.

I'll definitely follow up with Glasgow now and see what they say.
I think you need to meet their english language requirements to be able to get your tier IV visa. I took my first IELTS 5 years ago and achieved 8.0 but I still need to retake it this year. May I ask why you are unable to just retake it before August?
Alpine
Rep:
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Why not? This is all that is standing in your way. And you can't expect Universities to accept you with low IELTS results when you could just retake it before August.
This is very true! Thank you for the reply. It's mostly a financial issue at the moment - I have financial support to study abroad but it doesn't extend to the IELTS exam.
Alpine
Rep:
(Original post by stanleysukanto)
I think you need to meet their english language requirements to be able to get your tier IV visa. I took my first IELTS 5 years ago and achieved 8.0 but I still need to retake it this year. May I ask why you are unable to just retake it before August?
Wow! 8.0 is really high. I've got a 7.5 on a previous test and was hoping I might be able to use that as some kind of leverage but yeah, I thought it might be a VISA thing too. Thanks for this!
katycaresse
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
How much does the IELTS cost?
TattooedRedWolf
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
160£ Pretty much if you ask me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads