The Student Room Group

Doing 4 A-Levels and one BTEC at Sixth Form/College?

asdsad
(edited 3 years ago)
Why have you chosen those specific A-Levels? Do you know what you want to do after sixth form/college?
Reply 2
Doing 4 A Levels and a BTEC is a way too heavy workload in my opinion. I'd recommend just doing 4 A Levels and possibly dropping one subject after AS (because at the end of the day, you only really need 3 A Levels).

I did 3 A Levels + a BTEC worth 1 A Level when i was in year 12, however by the end of the year I'd dropped the BTEC as I found that the high level of BTEC assignment work was taking a toll on my A Level grades.

Doing fewer subjects and maximising your grades is better than doing a higher amount of subjects and getting a lower set of grades.
Reply 3
Original post by NateRiver
Why have you chosen those specific A-Levels? Do you know what you want to do after sixth form/college?

Drama - Would love to be an actor.

Politics - Would love to dedicate myself to Politics when I'm 40 and I already am involved with politics.

Psychology - Goes hand in hand with politics.

Economics - I like money. And the salary is good.
Absolutely pointless. Don't need 4 A levels now and the BTEC would give absolutely no advantage, do you even know what you want to do in the future?
Reply 5
I think with the amount of coursework that you will have to do with BTEC, it would be very hard to balance all 4 of your A LEVELS as well as the BTEC.
The four A Levels you have picked aren't easy A Levels, either. I mean there really isn't an "easy" A Level as per say, but there are A Levels harder than the other and all of those are pretty difficult to tackle in themselves so how will you juggle all of that?
3 A Levels is enough really, since universities just look for that amount. It's better to have 3 strong graded A Levels than 4 A Levels and a BTEC which aren't of a very high grade. Personally, I know a lot of my friends weren't able to tackle a BTEC with more than 2 A Levels, so I don't encourage it at all unless you really feel like you can tackle it and you can put in the time and dedication it will take you
Reply 6
Original post by AmarRPM
Doing 4 A Levels and a BTEC is a way too heavy workload in my opinion. I'd recommend just doing 4 A Levels and possibly dropping one subject after AS (because at the end of the day, you only really need 3 A Levels).

I did 3 A Levels + a BTEC worth 1 A Level when i was in year 12, however by the end of the year I'd dropped the BTEC as I found that the high level of BTEC assignment work was taking a toll on my A Level grades.

Doing fewer subjects and maximising your grades is better than doing a higher amount of subjects and getting a lower set of grades.

Oh boy my heart beat gets heavy when people tell me they dropped an A Level course (or in your case, BTEC) at the end of Year 12 like I'm standing there thinking "how can you do such a thing!? You dropped an A-Level course!?"

I did think that though and I felt that since 3 of my A-Levels are linked (not Drama), and with BTEC directly linking with one of the A-Levels I'm doing, Economics I feel as if I can use the knowledge from there and apply to BTEC.

Can share what A-Level and BTEC course you took part in?
Reply 7
Original post by Vikingninja
Absolutely pointless. Don't need 4 A levels now and the BTEC would give absolutely no advantage, do you even know what you want to do in the future?

I have a flexible/specific idea, either acting or politician/businessman.

What's exactly is UCAS? I would like to join the RAF Air Cadets and they're offering BTEC degrees. I would like to get all the UCAS points I can get for university.

Original post by Haszy
I think with the amount of coursework that you will have to do with BTEC, it would be very hard to balance all 4 of your A LEVELS as well as the BTEC. The four A Levels you have picked aren't easy A Levels, either. I mean there really isn't an "easy" A Level as per say, but there are A Levels harder than the other and all of those are pretty difficult to tackle in themselves so how will you juggle all of that? 3 A Levels is enough really, since universities just look for that amount. It's better to have 3 strong graded A Levels than 4 A Levels and a BTEC which aren't of a very high grade. Personally, I know a lot of my friends weren't able to tackle a BTEC with more than 2 A Levels, so I don't encourage it at all unless you really feel like you can tackle it and you can put in the time and dedication it will take you

I was thinking I give it a shot and if I can't handle it, I'll drop the BTEC.
Reply 8
Ooo, okay I guess there's no harm in that. Your A Level choices do look like a recipe for disaster haha! But if you like drama, it's not a very hard A Level to pick up if you're a good actor so that alongside your other 3 A Lels I don't think would be a very big struggle if you enjoy doing them. I do Psychology at A2 curently and I LOVE it. Found it to be the easiest A Level I'm doing
Original post by Katzen
I have a flexible/specific idea, either acting or politician/businessman.

What's exactly is UCAS? I would like to join the RAF Air Cadets and they're offering BTEC degrees. I would like to get all the UCAS points I can get for university.

I was thinking I give it a shot and if I can't handle it, I'll drop the BTEC.

UCAS is the organisation which you apply to uni through and the point system depends on your grades. Most uni's don't even measure by this probably with situations like this where they choose a load of subjects for quantity over quality where it matters.

Also why do you want to go into RAF cadets if you want to be a politician or a actor? I really can't tell if this is an actually serious thread now.
Reply 10
UCAS is the organisation which you apply to uni through and the point system depends on your grades. Most uni's don't even measure by this probably with situations like this where they choose a load of subjects for quantity over quality where it matters.

Also why do you want to go into RAF cadets if you want to be a politician or a actor? I really can't tell if this is an actually serious thread now.

Can't blame you, with the recent threads that have been popping up on this god-forbidden site, I would've taken the question of the thread as a joke had I not been the one asking it.

Youth Organisations have always been a huge part for my family, and I would've joined the Air Force Cadets a few years ago had it not been for the situation at the time.

I want to get into the cadets in order to increase my social life and learn new skills, I do like engineering and I would like to get familiar with planes and mechanics even if my career is not going to correlate to that. They also offer BTEC degrees which my friends say is an easy grab.

I also feel that associating myself with the Air Force Cadets will prove to be beneficial for my early political career as a teenager.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Katzen
Can't blame you, with the recent threads that have been popping up on this god-forbidden site, I would've taken the question of the thread as a joke had I not been the one asking it.

Youth Organisations have always been a huge part for my family, and I would've joined the Air Force Cadets a few years ago had it not been for the situation at the time.

I want to get into the cadets in order to increase my social life and learn new skills, I do like engineering and I would like to get familiar with planes and mechanics even if my career is not going to correlate to that. They also offer BTEC degrees which my friends say is an easy grab.

I also feel that associating myself with the Air Force Cadets will prove to be beneficial for my early political career as a teenager.

Are these BTEC degrees anywhere related to the careers you want to go into? I definitely don't see anything about acting and you wouldn't just do A levels to get into that.
Reply 12
Are these BTEC degrees anywhere related to the careers you want to go into? I definitely don't see anything about acting and you wouldn't just do A levels to get into that.

To tell you the truth, it was only a few weeks ago that I found out the Air Force can give BTEC qualificaitons, regardless 2 of these can help imo.

- BTEC First Diploma in Public Services (teaches skills such as leadership, communication, etc. Seems to correlate to politics)

- BTEC First Diploma in Music (I know I spoke of acting, but I also skills Dancing and I would like to have some experience in Music)

In addition, these BTEC qualification can be counted as points for UCAS.

Although, I am confused by what you said previously

> Most uni's don't even measure by this
Original post by Katzen
To tell you the truth, it was only a few weeks ago that I found out the Air Force can give BTEC qualificaitons, regardless 2 of these can help imo.

- BTEC First Diploma in Public Services (teaches skills such as leadership, communication, etc. Seems to correlate to politics)

- BTEC First Diploma in Music (I know I spoke of acting, but I also skills Dancing and I would like to have some experience in Music)

In addition, these BTEC qualification can be counted as points for UCAS.

Although, I am confused by what you said previously

> Most uni's don't even measure by this

Yeah most unis choose people by grades not UCAS points. They want people who are capable in the important subjects rather than those who just do a lot of subjects. Most people would just go straight into a degree from A levels.

The UCAS points asked for anyway at some unis are the same as 3 A levels (e.g. City asks for ABB in com science with preferred subjects or 128 UCAS points which is equal to ABB but allows for say AAC).
Reply 14
Yeah most unis choose people by grades not UCAS points. They want people who are capable in the important subjects rather than those who just do a lot of subjects. Most people would just go straight into a degree from A levels.

The UCAS points asked for anyway at some unis are the same as 3 A levels (e.g. City asks for ABB in com science with preferred subjects or 128 UCAS points which is equal to ABB but allows for say AAC).

In that case, I'll drop the idea of doing BTEC in Sixth Form

I'll still join the Air Force because they have more to offer other than BTEC.

Thank you for your help.
Original post by Katzen
In that case, I'll drop the idea of doing BTEC in Sixth Form

I'll still join the Air Force because they have more to offer other than BTEC.

Thank you for your help.

Do you mean as in just joining for activities etc?
Reply 16
Do you mean as in just joining for activities etc?

The activities, the social life and the skills learnt.

I feel like you're going to recommend NCS...
Original post by Katzen
Oh boy my heart beat gets heavy when people tell me they dropped an A Level course (or in your case, BTEC) at the end of Year 12 like I'm standing there thinking "how can you do such a thing!? You dropped an A-Level course!?"

I did think that though and I felt that since 3 of my A-Levels are linked (not Drama), and with BTEC directly linking with one of the A-Levels I'm doing, Economics I feel as if I can use the knowledge from there and apply to BTEC.

Can share what A-Level and BTEC course you took part in?

During Y12, I did A Level Maths, Physics and Computer Science + BTEC IT, however I dropped BTEC IT because the workload was affecting my A Level revision.

3 strong A Level grades > 4 average/weak A Level grades
Original post by Katzen
The activities, the social life and the skills learnt.

I feel like you're going to recommend NCS...

No most extracurricular activities are good and helps with university applications by putting them in your personal statement. Wasn't sure if you meant by joining them as a whole or for extracurricular.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest