The Student Room Group

help

I am a single parent with three children thinking of doing child nursing course but need to know some information from who's doing the course. If I am put on placement and something is wrong with my child would I be able to change shift with a classmate. thank you
Original post by 86Chris
I am a single parent with three children thinking of doing child nursing course but need to know some information from who's doing the course. If I am put on placement and something is wrong with my child would I be able to change shift with a classmate. thank you

There is no guarantee you will be on placement with someone from your course or from your year. You're usually assigned different mentors and your shifts are somewhat dictated by their shift pattern as you need to be on shift with that person. Where not possible, you'll be assigned to another nurse.
It is your individual learning and not your colleagues.
The nmc set out standards that each pre-registration student must meet in order to qualify as a nurse.
This includes your practice hours.
Placements may be flexible to an extent if you needed to swap / leave due to child sickness, however, this may not always be possible.
They must show a degree of fairness for those who do not have children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your help :smile:
I'm a third year adult nurse and also a single parent. When I'm on placement, I work the same shifts as those who work in the hospital. An early shift at my current trust is 7:15-15:15, a late shift is 12:15-20:15, a long day is 7:15-20:15 and a night shift is 19:45-07:45. I can be assigned any of these shift times, depending on what my mentor is working. Generally I work 3 long shifts a week, but I'll also have a small make-up shift at the end of the month as you have to complete 37.5 hours a week. A long day only amounts for 12 hours per shift as you get an hours break. I also have to complete 150 hours of night shift duty within my three years of training. If your child were sick, you could ask to swap one of your shifts or use your sick allowance. I get approximately a weeks worth of placement sick allowance each year. I hope that's of some use to you, and good luck in your future career.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending