The Student Room Group

Geography AS Re-take Unit 1 AQA

Just wondering if anyone else is taking the plunge to resit AS Unit 1 for AQA? If so, are you finding the workload hard on top of the A2???

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by fayebrightmore
Just wondering if anyone else is taking the plunge to resit AS Unit 1 for AQA? If so, are you finding the workload hard on top of the A2???

Yeah I am, I got a D last year and there's so much content fml
Reply 3
I am as well as I got a D last year also :frown: do you have any idea on what questions to expect? What topics are you doing
Original post by pezisland37
Yeah I am, I got a D last year and there's so much content fml

There's so much to do isn't there! I am really struggling to manage it all
Original post by hjm99
I am as well as I got a D last year also :frown: do you have any idea on what questions to expect? What topics are you doing

I had a feeling that the questions might be quite basic simply because the exam board won't be putting a lot of effort into it, but I may be over thinking it! I am doing coasts, rivers, pop change and health! What are you doing?
There's so much to do isn't there! I am really struggling to manage it all

I'm making posters for river and desert landforms and sticking them on my wall so I can just look at them when I wake up or whatnot and I'm a verbal learner so it's easier to just do that - I have no idea why there is so much content like wtaf it's an AS paper not an A2 paper, and it's worth the most out of all of them (35%) :/
I'm making posters for river and desert landforms and sticking them on my wall so I can just look at them when I wake up or whatnot and I'm a verbal learner so it's easier to just do that - I have no idea why there is so much content like wtaf it's an AS paper not an A2 paper, and it's worth the most out of all of them (35%) :/

Would you say that you're focusing more on AS or A2?
Would you say that you're focusing more on AS or A2?

I'm in a bit of a weird situation that I don't think anyone else is in. I'm doing the A2 Edexcel course but I did the AS AQA course cause I moved house and I hated my old sixth form, so now it's weird, especially since I didn't do as well last year :/ But atm I'm deffo focusing more on AS content, I don't know how content heavy AQA's A2 course is but Edexcel's is a lot more independent and synoptic.
I'm in a bit of a weird situation that I don't think anyone else is in. I'm doing the A2 Edexcel course but I did the AS AQA course cause I moved house and I hated my old sixth form, so now it's weird, especially since I didn't do as well last year :/ But atm I'm deffo focusing more on AS content, I don't know how content heavy AQA's A2 course is but Edexcel's is a lot more independent and synoptic.

Oh I see! That makes it more difficult, I'm doing AQA, A2 isn't very content heavy at all really, not in comparison to AS, just those hefty 40 markers!!!
Oh I see! That makes it more difficult, I'm doing AQA, A2 isn't very content heavy at all really, not in comparison to AS, just those hefty 40 markers!!!

Yeah same with edexcel but I think Unit 1 geog is the exam i'm most worried about. you should deffo check out www.geographyas.info for revision notes for the course, coz that's what I'm using to make my posters.
Yeah same with edexcel but I think Unit 1 geog is the exam i'm most worried about. you should deffo check out www.geographyas.info for revision notes for the course, coz that's what I'm using to make my posters.

That's really useful! Thank you :smile:
Reply 12
I had a feeling that the questions might be quite basic simply because the exam board won't be putting a lot of effort into it, but I may be over thinking it! I am doing coasts, rivers, pop change and health! What are you doing?

Yeah I thought that as well and my teachers agreed! I'm doing rivers, cold environments, population and energy! I'm worried as I didn't find last years exam particularly hard I came out off it quite confident but I found that it was the 15 markers letting me down! How did you do in your skills exam and how are you finding the A2 content ?!
Reply 13
Hi not sure anyone will see this, I'm also retaking Geography AS and I was just wondering if anyone has any predicted questions ideas :frown:
Original post by stacy.ao
Hi not sure anyone will see this, I'm also retaking Geography AS and I was just wondering if anyone has any predicted questions ideas :frown:

I have no idea! What topics are you doing? I feel like the questions may be quite simple because there aren't many people sitting the exam but I could just be being optimistic :colondollar:
Reply 15
For anyone doing energy, does anyone have any recent energy mixes, or does your teacher reckon it is ok use the old ones in the textbook. Thanks
Hi, I'm also doing the resit - rivers, coasts, population and energy :s-smilie:
Original post by Joanna.Mag
Hi, I'm also doing the resit - rivers, coasts, population and energy :s-smilie:

Same.

Going back from AS from A2 it doesn't seem so difficult in comparison since I know the structure of A2 (7/8/10/40 marks for each section) but the wording of questions seemed to trip me up last year and the random weighting of certain questions. I just hope the 15 markers can compensate for my marks in the other questions just in case.

Re-remembering all these case studies is killing me though
Original post by Poetic Gamer
Same.

Going back from AS from A2 it doesn't seem so difficult in comparison since I know the structure of A2 (7/8/10/40 marks for each section) but the wording of questions seemed to trip me up last year and the random weighting of certain questions. I just hope the 15 markers can compensate for my marks in the other questions just in case.

Re-remembering all these case studies is killing me though

Yeah, switching from A2 to AS and vice versa isn't too bad, as the questions have similar command words. I think from last year, i just didn't put enough info into the questions, which lost me some marks.
I know right! case studies are awful :s-smilie:
Original post by Joanna.Mag
Yeah, switching from A2 to AS and vice versa isn't too bad, as the questions have similar command words. I think from last year, i just didn't put enough info into the questions, which lost me some marks.
I know right! case studies are awful :s-smilie:

That and my teachers didn't expect social welfare to be a question :/

However, me and my friend have a running joke that the 15 marker for population will be on population theories (Boserup and Malthus/Club of Rome) since they've never used it in the exams and this is the last year (for this spec) so they'll ask all the random nonsense that's less than 1 page in the AS textbook lol
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest