The Student Room Group

New UKCAT- what would be a good score

So i've looked on the website and it says theres a new Decision making section.

I was just wondering, with this in mind what would be considered a high UKCAT score? and can someone explain how its calculated and marked? thanks x
For all the other sections you get a mark between 300 and 900 I believe, 900 being the highest possible mark, and for the situational judgment section you get a band between 1 and 4, band 1 being the highest possible mark. I don't think anyone knows exactly how many questions you need to get right to get a certain mark. People usually talk about UKCAT scores in terms of the average of all the sections so the introduction of decision making shouldn't change what's considered a good score. Generally speaking, over 650 is good, over 700 is very good, and over 750 would let you apply pretty much anywhere you want. Band 1 is very good, band 2 is good, bands 3 and 4 put you at a disadvantage in many places.
Reply 2
I did the UKCAT last year. We had the same section but were told that it wouldn't affect our overall scores so a lot of people just didn't bother with it. Some took it as a break from the test and others just stood up to go to the toilets. From what I remember it wasn't that bad.
I remember from my research last year that the scores were based on the first time the UKCAT was sat by the people in that year. It's likely that it's the same for this new section. 600 is the 50th percentile, 900 is the 100th percentile and 300 is the 0th percentile. That means you don't need to get full marks to get 900 points, just the same score (or better) as the highest person did. It's the same for the other two. 600 doesn't mean 50% correct answers; it means you got higher than 50% of people that sat the UKCAT the first time. No one knows for sure what the scores were specifically or how they calculate the marks though.
As for scores, 600 is average, 700 is good and 800 is a guaranteed interview spot for most unis. Unfortunately, a lot of people get between 600 and 800 so it's difficult to say which unis they'll be more likely to be accepted at. SJT is really easy; getting Band 1/2 is expected for most uni's.
EDIT: That being said, as long as you get a 650+, you don't need to worry too much; anything less and I'd be a little worried.
(edited 7 years ago)
You need about 75% to get 900 points (maximum).

A "good" score is about 650-700 (60-65%).

The average fluctuates between 590 and 610 (about 50%).

Situational judgement is graded like reverse English Lit - Band 1 is the highest, with 4 being the lowest. Ideally, you'll want Band 1 or 2 (I think that's 50%+).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending