The Student Room Group

Turning old PC into a File Server

I need some assistance to turn a PC into File Server.

The computer in question is a Dell OptiPlex 9020 SFF running Windows 7 Professional.

I would just do a shared home group however the issue is it needs to connect to an iMac Retina running El Capitan.

Any ideas would be useful, I'm the most computer savvy in the world so a simple solution would be great.

Thanks in advance.
You could install some sort of NAS OS, i.e. FreeNAS, and run it as a virtual machine, that way it can run in tandem with your W7. Not a lot of experience on having a file server on Windows 7 though, I've only had to use Ubuntu (which is free, as is FreeNAS, and you could consider either if you're up for it); that's all I can offer.
Reply 2
Original post by Callicious
You could install some sort of NAS OS, i.e. FreeNAS, and run it as a virtual machine, that way it can run in tandem with your W7. Not a lot of experience on having a file server on Windows 7 though, I've only had to use Ubuntu (which is free, as is FreeNAS, and you could consider either if you're up for it); that's all I can offer.

I will certainly give it a try, thanks for the help.
Look into Plex Media Server.
Reply 4
Original post by Stickman
Look into Plex Media Server.

Plex is, as you said, a media server - not a file server.
Original post by IWMTom
Plex is, as you said, a media server - not a file server.

The protocol is the same in the backend. With a bit of tinkering, it's possible. I've done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The protocol is the same in the backend. With a bit of tinkering, it's possible. I've done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"A bit of tinkering" - that's laughable at best.

Plex is not designed to run as a file server allowing network shares to be spun up and accessed as OP requires, it is designed to stream media. Certain software has certain uses, and Plex does not have the functionality for OPs scenario.
Reply 7
There's a really easy way,.. just make the drive discoverable on the network. Done it before, worked on a mac. You just right click, properties, sharing -you'll figure it out from there.
Original post by IWMTom
"A bit of tinkering" - that's laughable at best.

Plex is not designed to run as a file server allowing network shares to be spun up and accessed as OP requires, it is designed to stream media. Certain software has certain uses, and Plex does not have the functionality for OPs scenario.

Correct its not designed for it - doesn't mean you can't use it for another purpose.

But it can be spun up on a NAS as a storage device constituting as a 'file server'. Because OP wants a cross platform solution this is one of the options.

A bit of common sense and know how through Google allows you to do it.
Reply 9
Correct its not designed for it - doesn't mean you can't use it for another purpose.

But it can be spun up on a NAS as a storage device constituting as a 'file server'. Because OP wants a cross platform solution this is one of the options.

A bit of common sense and know how through Google allows you to do it.

No hun, that's using the software on the NAS as the fileserver, with Plex being entirely irrelevant to the situation - yes, it's nice to have, but on it's own it cannot solve OPs problem.
Reply 10
Right click the folder or drive > properties > sharing > advanced sharing > check the box > edit the permissions If desired (to set a login when attempting to connector change read/write settings).

It's so easy. No need to play around, it is only for local network access but from what you've said, that's all you want

You can go with the other solutions by different users but this is easy and reliable. No need to mess around.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by zayn008
Right click the folder or drive > properties > sharing > advanced sharing > check the box > edit the permissions If desired (to set a login when attempting to connector change read/write settings).

It's so easy. No need to play around, it is only for local network access but from what you've said, that's all you want

You can go with the other solutions by different users but this is easy and reliable. No need to mess around.

Couldn't agree more.
Original post by IWMTom
No hun, that's using the software on the NAS as the fileserver, with Plex being entirely irrelevant to the situation - yes, it's nice to have, but on it's own it cannot solve OPs problem.

You know what, I'm not even gonna argue with someone who has an agenda to nit pick posts. Don't have time for that.
Reply 13
You know what, I'm not even gonna argue with someone who has an agenda to nit pick posts. Don't have time for that.

Plex. Is. Not. Software. To. Run. Cross. Platform. Network. Shares.
Reply 14
Original post by IWMTom
Plex. Is. Not. Software. To. Run. Cross. Platform. Network. Shares.

I've used plex for videos/music/pictures for my Fire TV but not as a file server... also I had to run it through a software so it wasn't through the native OS which means it isn't much of a file server since you can't access the raw file system... so it's just a media share hub
Reply 15
Original post by zayn008
I've used plex for videos/music/pictures for my Fire TV but not as a file server... also I had to run it through a software so it wasn't through the native OS which means it isn't much of a file server since you can't access the raw file system... so it's just a media share hub

Exactly! You literally have to feed it the directories you'll be using to store your media. God knows what "tweaking" @Stickman was talking about but it sounds like changing the entire functionality 😂😂
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
Exactly! You literally have to feed it the directories you'll be using to store your media. God knows what "tweaking" @Stickman was talking about but it sounds like changing the entire functionality 😂😂

Lol yeah, didn't even know plex could be tweaked that way...
should've just used kodi, media server just like plex with the added bonus of raw file system access

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending