A-Level English Lit/Lang or English Literature? Watch

Erin240601
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am in the process of choosing my A-Levels. I am really undecided between English Lit/Lang and English Literature, my school won't let me do both any advice is welcome! Thank you
Obviously.Rachel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Erin240601)
I am in the process of choosing my A-Levels. I am really undecided between English Lit/Lang and English Literature, my school won't let me do both any advice is welcome! Thank you
I absolutely love English - it's what I plan to study at university. When I was choosing my A-Levels last year, I was dead set on both English Literature and English Language, alongside History and French.

However, when I started year 12, I discovered that English Language was NOTHING like it was at GCSE. Not even close. To be honest, it struck me more as a media and journalism course than an English one. I ended up dropping it mid Autumn term and switching to Business studies.

I've heard from friends it starts off very slow and tedious, but it does get better. For me, though, I wasn't happy with it and wouldn't recommend the course.

I couldn't recommend Literature any more highly though - really worthwhile and insightful. It is, naturally, a lot of reading and essay writing, and you need impeccable close analysis skills. But I'm sure you've got those already.

So, in short, I'd DEFINITELY say go for Literature instead. I hope my long-winded tale helps, haha. Best of luck ☺️
jessflood_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do english lit/lang and compared to what I've heard about literature I'm glad i chose it. I suppose it depends on what you're more interested in. Lit/Lang is a lot more creative which i why i chose it and also i hated gcse poetry and there is a lot of poetry in literature. You don't need to take both because lang/lit has aspects of both in anyway so if you want the best of both i would do that.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The combined A-level in English Language and Literature is all about looking at language in different literary genres. So you will be looking at narrative styles in prose, language and stylistic function in poetry, what is not being said in drama and how non-fiction writing conveys meanings through different linguistic and grammatical practices. You will most likely do at least one creative writing coursework. That could be anything from writing a missing chapter of novel, to writing your own radio script. It is all about looking at how language is used in lots of different literary forms.

A-level English Literature is basically looking at literature in its social, historical, political and linguistic context. You will be reading texts that are heavily thematic based; i.e American literature, Gothic horror, Victorian literature, dystopia/utopia, women and feminism, etc. You will also learn a lot of literary theories like psychoanalysis (how our subconsciousness effects our everyday behaviour), ecocriticsm (how landscape and the environment influences characters) and queer theory (looking at homosexuality as a sub-plot). Literature at A-level is about analysing the ways writers convey meaning at the time texts were written and received and analysing what type of effects their writings had on the reader, the publicsphere as well as how their writing reflects their own attitudes and beliefs.

This is only a guide as to what you will study, not if you will enjoy it or not. That is a complete personal outcome you will come to find. If you are unsure, ask an English teacher who possibly teaches both at A-level or one of the other. Ask them to see A-level students' work and see which one looks more intriguing to you.

Hope this helps.
Erin240601
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sorry for the 4 month late reply... whoops! Thank you everyone for the help, I've decided to go for English Literature since this is the subject I found most enjoyable at GCSE.
Lucasta
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
well done
srdavison123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I studied both (not combined) and I enjoyed both. However it can get a little tedious, especially in exam season. If you enjoy reading books and then analysing them, pick Literature (allows for a bit more of freedom in writing), else pick language for the science/origins of English. Both are very useful though.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry for the 4 month late reply... whoops! Thank you everyone for the help, I've decided to go for English Literature since this is the subject I found most enjoyable at GCSE.
Good pick!

Hope you enjoy it!
srdavison123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Didn't see this...
Good choice and good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (270)
67%
No (133)
33%

Watched Threads