Most effective way of losing body fat.

ReputationRep:
    hey!

I'm 18 y/o male. I weigh around 80kg and I am 5ft 11.

I have quiet a belly which I don't like. I'm looking to lose weight but would mainly focus on flattening my stomach and less fat around my thighs. Stomach isn't as obvious when facing straight on but you can see, however from the sides it looks pretty obvious I have more than enough fat.

I have a lot of time on my hands since I have study leave as well & looking to be physically fit before university starts. I was just looking for the most effective and efficient way to lose weight from home.

I'm hoping to start my waitering job at a busy restaurant within the next week so that would help me as well. I don't eat much now, and when I do it isn't junk food or candy. I drink plenty of water.

Any ideas of work outs or suggestions of anything? Is what I want not possible in the time frame?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you're going to be starting work as a waiter then that'll help you with being more active. The most effective way to lose fat is to eat less and move more. There are hundreds of diets out there, but they all have one thing in common - they're based around being in a caloric deficit. There are hundreds of exercise programs aimed at losing fat, but they all have one thing in common - they use a lot of calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Well, if you're going to be starting work as a waiter then that'll help you with being more active. The most effective way to lose fat is to eat less and move more. There are hundreds of diets out there, but they all have one thing in common - they're based around being in a caloric deficit. There are hundreds of exercise programs aimed at losing fat, but they all have one thing in common - they use a lot of calories.
    I remember coming across something called a calorie deficit, I probably do that already tbh. I've been doing planks recently starting of with 30 seconds and doing this 8 times, I'm now doing them as a minute 4 times twice a day already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Keep doing the plank thing. Add some pushups in there as well. Eat healthier and run a lot or swim a lot. Do the 8 minute ab challenge on youtube

ReputationRep:
    Diet+ walking + weights= success

For me diet has been removing fast food,less sugar,more veg

Also football/swimming on occassions

ReputationRep:
    Healthy eating, so less carbs, but running. Cardio is a plan. weights also help.

ReputationRep:
    do full body workouts 3 times week and track your calories

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you're starting at a good place. Drinking lots of water and avoiding empty calories is really such a huge part of the equation. I would also download the http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ app for counting calories.

Unfortunately there's no way to really simply focus on your belly and thighs (other than workouts that target those areas) so the best thing to do is find a good workout routine or schedule that works for you. You mention working out at home, if that's the case you should check out Beachbody! A lot of people have had success doing their DVDs at home and you can use one of their free trials to try before you commit: https://www.beachbody.com/product/fi...outs-videos.do

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to lose it all before you get to University. Just focus on getting into healthy habits and losing the weight at a healthy rate. That's going to be far more sustainable in the long-run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    hey!

I'm 18 y/o male. I weigh around 80kg and I am 5ft 11.

I have quiet a belly which I don't like. I'm looking to lose weight but would mainly focus on flattening my stomach and less fat around my thighs. Stomach isn't as obvious when facing straight on but you can see, however from the sides it looks pretty obvious I have more than enough fat.

I have a lot of time on my hands since I have study leave as well & looking to be physically fit before university starts. I was just looking for the most effective and efficient way to lose weight from home.

I'm hoping to start my waitering job at a busy restaurant within the next week so that would help me as well. I don't eat much now, and when I do it isn't junk food or candy. I drink plenty of water.

Any ideas of work outs or suggestions of anything? Is what I want not possible in the time frame?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Creating an energy deficit through diet - i.e. eating less energy than you expend is the only way to lose body fat. Whilst being more physically active is obviously a good thing, and will increase your energy expenditure, when it comes to weight loss it is 99% about diet rather than exercise. Exercise is useful for maintaining weight lost and preventing regain, but does little for losing the excess weight in the first place.

Are there changes to your diet you can easily make that you already know about? For instance, a penchant for takeaway food? Or liberal alcohol consumption? Or lots of sweets and sugar-sweetened drinks? Easy stuff - what we'd call 'low-hanging fruit' if we were in the city!

ReputationRep:
    Push ups and sit ups everymorning

High intensity interval training is also an option. But be wary of this, it can get pretty intensive so start off slow then build, because the whole premise is to get your heart rate as close to your max heart rate and stay there for half a minute or a minute and then go back down to resting for about 15s,and then do it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    I remember coming across something called a calorie deficit, I probably do that already tbh. I've been doing planks recently starting of with 30 seconds and doing this 8 times, I'm now doing them as a minute 4 times twice a day already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're in a calorie deficit you'd be losing weight already :lol: A calorie deficit is when you're burning off more calories than you're taking in each day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    If you're in a calorie deficit you'd be losing weight already :lol: A calorie deficit is when you're burning off more calories than you're taking in each day.
    I've lost 4Kg since the post was made haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    I've lost 4Kg since the post was made haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice one

ReputationRep:
    Do high intensity interval training if you can handle it.

ReputationRep:
    lift

ReputationRep:
    Cutting out carbs or limiting carb intake.

ReputationRep:
    U do a lot of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go Vegan

Jk

ReputationRep:
    How often u exercise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 24, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How often do you buy stationery?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.