Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well its not just to help oxbridge though, i don't doubt how hard the a-levels are and how hard you need to work to get an A, but if too many people get A's then it devalues the qualification in the eyes of some, so its for the sake future people doing A-levels.

I'm not saying a-levels are easy they're quiet obviously not or everyone would do them after GCSE, they don't just hand them out obviously!

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3577504.stm

I like this guy Useful facts and figures to throw at snipers! Never realised so few people managed two passes though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    And the statistics show that they ARE - the move to AS and A2 has prevented people likely to fail A levels from carrying on with them. And so the pass rate is edging towards 100%. You say you don't want people incapable of taking A levels to take them but then you say you don't want a 100% pass rate exam - which is it?
    I'm not convinced. Here in Scotland it tends to be only people with exceptionally good Highers (AS) who take any Advanced Highers (A2) - in fact the number of AH taken is as low as 10% of the number of Highers (effectively a 90% drop-out rate). In theory it is (should) only the very best 10% of each academic year who take AH, yet the pass rate is still only 70-75%.

ReputationRep:
    My dad took his A levels in the l970 he said even then people were going on about how much easier they are getting. So if they have really being getting easier every year since the last 34 years then they would be a peice of cake by now which simply isn't true.

The only reason why people mock the grades is the old generation cannot stand the young peoples sucess so they have to mock it. All theydo is moan how the youth vandalise things, and how A levels are getting easier.

The BBC's schools journalise wrote a good article last year basicaly ****ging off people who mock A level students sucess.

Remember only 50% of young people do A levels if that, out of that 22% will get an A. But the communite(sp) amounts of A's will be much less, so its just the media twisiting statistics.

A bet half the people writing those articles have never even done A levels. My auntry is the same she ****s them off, goes on how much easier they are but she left school when she was 16 and has never sat them!

Well done everybody

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't give a flying f**k whether A-Levels are easier or not!

I wanna see some hat eating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I couldn't give a flying f**k whether A-Levels are easier or not!

I wanna see some hat eating!
    I got let of the hat eating, I said I will eat my hat if my sister fails any of them.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows that A Levels are no longer a definitive marking system; just another step into higher education and degrees, which is where the real career decider lies now.

ReputationRep:
    HA! EASY? I'd like to see them attempt an OCR Pure 3 Maths paper!

They dont know what the fk theyre talking about.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why they try and take away the efforts of students. The students have done nothing wrong, they work hard and end up with a good grade possibly an A. If people say it's meaningless as there is such a high volume of A's then they should complain about the examining board and get them to introduce a better means of testing students. Such as the BAC. But it's the same story every year; it's only to be expected.

ReputationRep:
    The main problem which is feeding the media is the pass rate. It has risen every year for 22 years, and is now at an extremely high 96%. From a simplistic viewpoint, this either means students have got cleverer and/or teaching has got better every year for 22 years, which I'm sure most people will admit is extremely unlikely, or alternatively the exams have (in some way or another) become easier to pass. The latter explanation is, I'm afraid, far more plausible.

ReputationRep:
    Theres also considerably less people taking subjects like Maths and the Sciences, and more taking those like Media Studies. I'm personly convinced the more traditional acedemic subjects like Maths are harder than some of the newer course like Media, which would also explain to some extent the continued rise in pass rates.

I don't mean to put down those who have done subjects like Media, an A grade in any A level is an achievment. I myself did Media, Maths and Chemistry. But there is no way I could honestly say I put as much effort into media as the other two, and yet I gained an A grade in it compared to a B and C in Chemistry and Maths respectivly.

We did a lot of past papers, I'd have loved to have gotten some of them instead of some of the papers I actually got, I can't see any evidence that they were harder.

I'd like to see them attempt an OCR Pure 3 Maths paper!
    Lol exactly, Edexcell Pure 3 was easily the hardest exam I've ever sat.

ReputationRep:
    Having heard that 25% of all grades awarded are As, I'm seriously considering declining the B I got. AAAA looks better than AAAAB I think. Or do all those ridiculous A Levels (Theatre, ICT, Media Studies, Business Studies, Banana Studies, etc...) inflate that statistic? For real subjects (maths, sciences, languages, classics, english, history) is the number of As awarded just as high?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeH)
    Lol exactly, Edexcell Pure 3 was easily the hardest exam I've ever sat.
    A-levels were no way the hardest exams I've sat. The hardest exam I've ever sat was 3rd year inorganic I, it had a ***** of a question about organometallics that was 60% of the paper, it involved identifying compounds A to W, interpreting all spectroscopic data and proposing reaction mechanisms for each step. Aparently if you got half marks in it they gave you a first in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    well i thank god if these exmas were easier than they should have been...i couldnt have coped with anymore :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Erm. A levels were and should be a means of distinguishing between those who are regarded as being intellectual. People who aren't should be doing other things. The trouble with a system with a 100% pass rate is that there are invariably a greater proportion at the top end of the spectrum. The grade system doesn't have enough resolution to distinguish between these so-called top candidates, and therefore there is a big difference even between those people who society regards as being equally intelligent.

The ramifications of this can be seen in the university admissions system, which is why students are being to yet more tests, set by the university, in order to gauge a real measure of their applicants' characteristics that A levels are failing to provide.
    I just think it's a little bit unfair to people with other qualifications trying to get into the same unis...the highest offer a uni will make to a person sitting a levels is about AAAAA (and that is practically unheard of)...whereas the same university will make a person sitting the International Baccalaureate attain 77777...a 7 at IB is roughly equivalent to an A* (if such a grade existed at A-Level).

It's unfair. 3 A's is nothing compared to what some of us have had to go through

*please don't shoot me, i am not undermining any of your hard work, be proud etc etc...just be aware that some people have had triple your work load these past two years*

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.