The Student Room Group

Went through red light - Am I in the clear yet?

On the 1st of Sept I went through a red light on a relatively busy road. It was when the light was just changing and I was kind off halfway accross anyway. Regardless its prob still considered a red. There was no flash of any camera but it was broad day light so there may have been no need for a flash. Have just found out that going through a red can be an offence with 3 penalty points. Previously just thought it was a fine.

I'm basically wondering if I could still expect something nasty in the post.

To confuse matters I don't think I was the registered owner at the time of going through the light. I just sent away for the log book 2 weeks ago and have yet to recieve it.

Am I in the clear, is there any way of knowing? Is it possible to have points and not know abt it?

Thanks again to anyone who can answer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
jesus man, ive done twice as bad as that at traffic lights and not got anything. youll be fine im sure.
Reply 2
Who was the registered keeper? Was it someone at a different address? Because the letter would have got sent to there I think.

And are you sure there was a camera there? As in a big yellow thing and not those things on top of the lights (they are sensors). Red light cameras aren't all that common - at least I don't see them very often.
Reply 3
They are big grey boxes that look like speed cameras.
Reply 4
I'll have to have a proper look for camera's next time I pass the area. I'm not sure who exactly is the registered keeper at the mo. Whether its me, previous owner, or dealer where I bought car from. How can I find out?

Hope you guys are all right about the fine thing?
Reply 5
Melissa85
On the 1st of Sept I went through a red light on a relatively busy road. It was when the light was just changing and I was kind off halfway accross anyway. Regardless its prob still considered a red. There was no flash of any camera but it was broad day light so there may have been no need for a flash. Have just found out that going through a red can be an offence with 3 penalty points. Previously just thought it was a fine.

I'm basically wondering if I could still expect something nasty in the post.

To confuse matters I don't think I was the registered owner at the time of going through the light. I just sent away for the log book 2 weeks ago and have yet to recieve it.

Am I in the clear, is there any way of knowing? Is it possible to have points and not know abt it?

Thanks again to anyone who can answer.

Nah, you're fine. Remember, it is OK to go through at the last few seconds. In fact, you'd probably get in more trouble for breaking hard for traffic lights.
Reply 6
I got three points and a fine for roughly what happened to you, but the camera definitely flashed for me so I pretty much knew that something would come in the post. It is quite possible that the camera you went through had no film in at the time, so it won't have caught you. I was told that if you go through a traffic light or speed camera you have to be informed by letter within 21 days of the incident occuring , so if it happened on the 1st I think you would have definitely heard something by now. Try not to worry I think from what you have said you will be okay.:smile:
Reply 7
Melissa85
I'll have to have a proper look for camera's next time I pass the area. I'm not sure who exactly is the registered keeper at the mo. Whether its me, previous owner, or dealer where I bought car from. How can I find out?

Hope you guys are all right about the fine thing?

If you bought it from a dealer (or even a private seller) you should have filled out your details on the V5 and then it would have got sent to the DVLA so they can update their records.
Reply 8
I ended up sideways after aquaplaning my fully laden landie through a red light in Leicester once, sat right in the middle of the junction. Oops. Looked a right fool. I hit the brakes for a hardish stop (it was marginal stop or go, and I decided to save the licence) and just went sideways straight away.
Reply 9
I wouldn't worry. Take this from someone who regularly is unable to stop at lights!
Reply 10
I went through a red light last week... think i had a moment of madness where i thought it was green:redface:
Reply 11
I remember once I was stopped at a red light, must have been dreaming or summin when my mate asks "erm... what are you doing?" For no reason, after being stopped at the light I just started to drive off. :s-smilie:
Reply 12
I've only been through one a few days after I passed my test. I wasn't concentrating and by the time I'd seen it I had pretty much crossed the line. It was only a small pedestrian crossing but thank god no-one walked out without looking... let's just say I learnt my lesson after that!
i reckon if any points were given they woudl go the the previous owners because they would mOST likely do it within 2 weeks - so i would have expected someone who owned the car to contact you by now.

With the red camera cameras you pretty much have to go past them after they have turned red

if you were already halfway on the road and it wasnt fully red then its probably not a major chance of getting points/fine.
Reply 14
The previous owner should have been the one to send off so you recieve the logbook? Anyway you usually know within two weeks with fixed penalties, and either you or the previous owner would have got it. If the previous owner, and it happened a month ago now, either they would have contacted ya, or they would have sent back the form to say the car had been solved and you would have had a letter by now I'dve thought..

At any rate, if you'd already passed while the lights were still yellow, you should be fine...
Reply 15
You can only get some problems if there was a traffic light camera, which looks like a small speed camera. They aren't very common, and are really quite easy to notice.
Reply 16
mark1010
I wouldn't worry. Take this from someone who regularly is unable to stop at lights!

and from somebody who if the roads are fairly quiet just looks both ways and drives straight on regardless :p: just as well i dont have my car at uni :rolleyes:
Reply 17
sorry I assumed you saw a camera- for peice of mind, when you go by there next, check to see if theres actually a camera:wink:e
Reply 18
What happened to you??
Reply 19
What happened to you? I've done the same thing recently. Sat at the lights, was playing around with the radio and I had a moment of madness and just started to drive. I was over the line and in to the junction by the time I realised, if I stopped it would have been dangerous. What was I supposed to do (apart from pay more attention? Reverse? So I just committed to it and carried on

Original post by 20083
I remember once I was stopped at a red light, must have been dreaming or summin when my mate asks "erm... what are you doing?" For no reason, after being stopped at the light I just started to drive off. :s-smilie: