Does the reputation of the university matter?

Watch
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm looking at applying for a masters (September 2018 entry) and realistically I cannot afford it. I'm wanting to do MA Social Work. My current uni can offer me up to 25% off my postgrad fees and possibly a job on campus as an accommodation rep (with free housing) and could keep my part time job too but I would not be 100% happy there. I would love to go to Lancaster but I doubt I'd get in so my next option is Keele, although the housing is cheaper there than it is at my UG I would still struggle financially.

My UG is not great but I have worked so hard and I am predicted at least a good 2:1 I just need a bit of advice on what to do, should I apply for my UG and just be optimistic or apply for somewhere better and hope I get funding?
EmmaCx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kayleighisonfire)
I'm looking at applying for a masters (September 2018 entry) and realistically I cannot afford it. I'm wanting to do MA Social Work. My current uni can offer me up to 25% off my postgrad fees and possibly a job on campus as an accommodation rep (with free housing) and could keep my part time job too but I would not be 100% happy there. I would love to go to Lancaster but I doubt I'd get in so my next option is Keele, although the housing is cheaper there than it is at my UG I would still struggle financially.

My UG is not great but I have worked so hard and I am predicted at least a good 2:1 I just need a bit of advice on what to do, should I apply for my UG and just be optimistic or apply for somewhere better and hope I get funding?
You could always get in touch with Lancaster / Keele beforehand and discuss what your options would be. Staying at your current university would be really useful considering those incentives and how you talk about a lack of money, but if you feel you would not enjoy your time there then it doesn't seem particularly worth it. You could also consider postponing your MA for a bit, and saving up more funds so you could afford to go elsewhere.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
or apply for somewhere better and hope I get funding?
There's very little Masters-level funding beyond the maximum £10,000 Postgraduate Loan. That won't cover tuition fees + living costs for most Masters courses. Eligibility isn't an issue - if you qualified for undergrad Student Finance then you will be eligible for the Postgraduate Loan.

If yu can't top that £10,000 up yourself, then your options are:

1) Go to the uni you can afford.
2) Postpone until you have saved up enough to pay for the uni you ideally want to attend.

There are really no magic answers beyond that. You can have what you can afford.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're interested in becoming a social worker, have you thought about applying for the Frontline scheme? I don't know huge amounts about it but afaik, they ask for a 2.1 or above for your undergrad degree so providing you get that result, you'd at least be eligible to apply. I believe it's similar to things like Teach First, where you're paid to train:
http://www.thefrontline.org.uk/
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm looking at applying for a masters (September 2018 entry) and realistically I cannot afford it.
Isn't this the most important bit of your post? I'm not sure why you'd be looking at applying if you know you can't afford it.
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Isn't this the most important bit of your post? I'm not sure why you'd be looking at applying if you know you can't afford it.
I could afford it if I went to the university with the lower reputation... hence why I'm asking if it mattered!
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
If you're interested in becoming a social worker, have you thought about applying for the Frontline scheme? I don't know huge amounts about it but afaik, they ask for a 2.1 or above for your undergrad degree so providing you get that result, you'd at least be eligible to apply. I believe it's similar to things like Teach First, where you're paid to train:
http://www.thefrontline.org.uk/
Thank you, I'll have a look into it
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I could afford it if I went to the university with the lower reputation... hence why I'm asking if it mattered!
No, it doesn't matter.
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
No, it doesn't matter.
Thank you for your straight forwards answer
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you for your straight forwards answer
Would've been quicker if that's what you'd specifically asked in the first place. We didn't really need the lengthy preamble about funding, which rather the derailed the conversation from the outset
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
Would've been quicker if that's what you'd specifically asked in the first place. We didn't really need the lengthy preamble about funding, which rather the derailed the conversation from the outset
I was panicking and when I do that I ramble, haha sorry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads