The Student Room Group

Are there lessons that can be learnt from Spanish society that can be applied here.

Were told that the economy is supposedly really good here and the benefits are good, but outside London/SE England it never really feels like a civilised place to raise a family. It just seems like so many people in the UK revel in weird or debased lifestyles and are disconnected from their communities and their roots. Certainly the weather doesnt help, but theres more to it I think. The absence of tradition, religion, the conventional family unit, decent fresh local ingredients and the fact that every high street seems to have the same tesco express, fried chicken and betting shops across the land, all seem incredibly dreary. Far too many people here seem to revel in the 'wrong' stuff - things like single motherhood, alcohol (not wine or cocktails either) bad food, tattoos. Catholic Europe to my mind is like a developed version of India; people generally want to study something worthwhile and raise traditional, conventional families and go to church every weekend. All of these things are missing in the UK.
I'm a big fan of taking a nap after lunch.
Reply 2
The Spanish are a bunch falangists.
I do appreciate the slower pace of life they have over there, particularly in the south, and I envy their late-night culture.
My best pal is Spanish-born, and one thing I notice is that, as you said OP, being close with your family has far more emphasis for the Spaniards compared to us. One thing I also noticed - and the feminists are going to HATE this one - is that it's just the done thing for the women to always look good. Never leave the house without hair done and make-up on, sorta thing. The majority of British girls are so lazy in comparison. They also make sure to destress, get enough rest and all that, whereas in Britain, it's seemingly money > everything. They tend to eat healthier over there as well.
Reply 5
I find it hilarious that you hold up London as en example of the last refuge of the traditional family life.

As for the local produce and Tescos on every high street; you should come visit Bristol. They tried opening a Tesco on one of our major high-streets a few years ago and the first reaction of the locals was to petrol bomb it :wink: not to mention the lovely local food and wine festivals that seem to be occurring almost every weekend throughout summer, the farmers markets dotted around and the number of I'm sure what you would class as "acceptable" places to consume alcohol, where people sit and sip a cider in the sunshine on the harbour-side.

I'm sure other cities in England could be painted in such a light, London isn't some magical place that's better than everywhere else.
Reply 6
Original post by WoodyMKC
My best pal is Spanish-born, and one thing I notice is that, as you said OP, being close with your family has far more emphasis for the Spaniards compared to us. One thing I also noticed - and the feminists are going to HATE this one - is that it's just the done thing for the women to always look good. Never leave the house without hair done and make-up on, sorta thing. The majority of British girls are so lazy in comparison. They also make sure to destress, get enough rest and all that, whereas in Britain, it's seemingly money > everything. They tend to eat healthier over there as well.

I'm genuinely curious which part of Spain they're from, because I've worked with a lot of spaniards and the always looking good certainly doesn't apply. Makeup isn't a daily thing by any stretch, the majority don't shave body hair at all and hair on the head is left to reside in it's wild natural state (which I personally find rather attractive).

But you're right about the de-stressing part. I've worked as a mountain guide and I could reliably have a relaxing morning if I knew I had Spanish clients that day as they're always at least an hour late to everything.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl
I'm genuinely curious which part of Spain they're from, because I've worked with a lot of spaniards and the always looking good certainly doesn't apply. Makeup isn't a daily thing by any stretch, the majority don't shave body hair at all and hair on the head is left to reside in it's wild natural state (which I personally find rather attractive).

But you're right about the distressing part. I've worked as a mountain guide and I could reliably have a relaxing morning if I knew I had Spanish clients that day as they're always at least an hour late to everything.

Have you worked with them out there, or here? A lot of foreigners come into this country and adopt our ways. I've been out to Spain several times plus they're living over here, I also go by what their relatives tell me as they still live out in Spain of course.
Reply 8
Original post by WoodyMKC
Have you worked with them out there, or here? A lot of foreigners come into this country and adopt our ways. I've been out to Spain several times plus they're living over here, I also go by what their relatives tell me as they still live out in Spain of course.

Working with them in Switzerland and have had reason to visit Spaniards at home on more than one occasion over the years.

Also realised "de-stressing" got autocorrected to "distressing" :colondollar: I can't say I've ever found working with Spaniards particularly distressing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending