Shoot
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, this is quite a basic question but nevertheless one that I need to grasp the concept off. You see in this question, one tube is inverted and one is upright, how comes the total pressure for the inverted tube = atmospheric pressure - exerted pressure and the total pressure for the upright tube = atmospheric pressure + exerted pressure. Is it linked with it P being proportional to 1/V ?

Name:  965f397f22767e439cfb39150774284d.png
Views: 34
Size:  22.5 KB
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The trapped dry air pushes outward on the tube, and the atmospheric pressure pushes inward on the tube, hence it will be atmospheric minus the exerted pressure.

For the second, the weight of the thread is no longer compressing the trapped air, and instead when the mercury slips downward, a vacuum will form, and this will keep the mercury upward. Atmospheric pressure acts on the tube and pushes on the mercury, while the dry air pulls inward on the tube and mercury.

Hence that's my reasoning. Hope I helped!
Shoot
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Callicious)
The trapped dry air pushes outward on the tube, and the atmospheric pressure pushes inward on the tube, hence it will be atmospheric minus the exerted pressure.

For the second, the weight of the thread is no longer compressing the trapped air, and instead when the mercury slips downward, a vacuum will form, and this will keep the mercury upward. Atmospheric pressure acts on the tube and pushes on the mercury, while the dry air pulls inward on the tube and mercury.

Hence that's my reasoning. Hope I helped!

That's what I thought you see, as pressure is acting in different ways you'd have to take away exerted pressure from the atmospheric pressure but on the mark scheme it shows this.

Name:  f8debb2234095ddf7bd9d36b64899d4d.png
Views: 33
Size:  4.2 KB

BTW: the exerted pressure from the mercury is 0.2 x 10^5 so for the first one, they added the exerted pressure and the atmospheric pressure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (26)
5.68%
Uncertainty around my education (52)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (55)
12.01%
Lack of purpose or motivation (61)
13.32%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.24%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (46)
10.04%
Financial worries (28)
6.11%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.55%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.06%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (45)
9.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
8.3%

Watched Threads