The Student Room Group

Schools and hair colour?

What is the issue with coloured hair?
My high school didn't allow it, my sixth doesn't either.
They always say it's because it's distracting, even though I see people brushing their hair in class and it's a natural colour.
They say it's because it's not professional, a work place wouldn't accept it. Yet I went to the hospital and saw a nurse with pink hair and tattoos, personally I thought it was great!
At my job, even though it's in a factory, one women had bright pink hair.
I had blonde and black hair and my high school didn't like it.

What is the problem?
There is no inherent issue, it's a manufactured issue created by some schools. And sadly you'll have to abide by their "it's distracting" excuse.

I lost count the number of time I could not pay attention in school because someone's hair colour.
My parents wouldn't want me to go to a school where everyone has pink hair, but I think you should be able to do whatever you want with your hair :smile:
It might not seem very fair, but different schools have different rules. You will just have to agree with the rules and dye your hair whatever colour you want in the 6 week holidays. I used to have my hair black at school and bright purple in the holidays.
Original post by Powersymphonia
It might not seem very fair, but different schools have different rules. You will just have to agree with the rules and dye your hair whatever colour you want in the 6 week holidays. I used to have my hair black at school and bright purple in the holidays.

That's what I used to do, until girls had red and purple hair and no one said anything xD
Original post by Mr Optimist
There is no inherent issue, it's a manufactured issue created by some schools. And sadly you'll have to abide by their "it's distracting" excuse.

I lost count the number of time I could not pay attention in school because someone's hair colour.
True you have summed it up perfect here
Ok you can dyed your hair and make it look very well for your hair colour but you have a lot more skin to look here and you tomorrow will see a bit more of the same as a little bit different from your hair colour and makeup

Quick Reply