Really worried about Manchester Metropolitan University's Safety [ Hulme].

Watch this thread
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just been on the phone to my sister in Manchester. She said she was very worried about the prospect of my son going over to study at Man Met, now she knows the Birley Campus is in Hulme. She said Hulme is as dangerous as it always was in the 1970's and '80's, when we, from Stretford, had to go past it on the bus. She said people are mugged and stabbed in the area on a regular basis,and that about a year ago actual university students beat up a university security guard, about 6 of them. She said she would fear for my son's safety, not in the University itself or in accommodation, but in the surrounding area when he steps outside. She strongly advised me to try and talk him out of going. And now i'm worried sick. I know ,via a Google search, there is some sort of facility for drug addicts in Hulme. I assume they must live in the area. Can anyone shed some light, perhaps people who actually live in Manchester as opposed to just study there, what Hulme as an area is like today? Many thanks. EDIT. I know I spelled University's wrong in the title, so please don't have a go at me. Thanks.
markova21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Anyone from Manchester who can tell me what Hulme is like ?
Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by markova21)
Just been on the phone to my sister in Manchester. She said she was very worried about the prospect of my son going over to study at Man Met, now she knows the Birley Campus is in Hulme. She said Hulme is as dangerous as it always was in the 1970's and '80's, when we, from Stretford, had to go past it on the bus. She said people are mugged and stabbed in the area on a regular basis,and that about a year ago actual university students beat up a university security guard, about 6 of them. She said she would fear for my son's safety, not in the University itself or in accommodation, but in the surrounding area when he steps outside. She strongly advised me to try and talk him out of going. And now i'm worried sick. I know ,via a Google search, there is some sort of facility for drug addicts in Hulme. I assume they must live in the area. Can anyone shed some light, perhaps people who actually live in Manchester as opposed to just study there, what Hulme as an area is like today? Many thanks. EDIT. I know I spelled University's wrong in the title, so please don't have a go at me. Thanks.
I have literally no idea where your sister has gotten her information from I'm sorry to say There's absolutely nothing with hulme as a place to live. Alot of the area has been redeveloped since the university moved down here and so it's very, very different to what it would have been liked in the 70's and 80's.

I've lived here for two years and had no issues with safety; my girlfriend is regularly up from Stoke and hasn't had any safety issues either. We have our security staff doing walks around the campus in the evening to have a presence too. Aslong you're sensible with your safety, stick to the main roads etc. it's an incredibly safe place to live.
markova21
Rep:
(Original post by Deyesy)
I have literally no idea where your sister has gotten her information from I'm sorry to say There's absolutely nothing with hulme as a place to live. Alot of the area has been redeveloped since the university moved down here and so it's very, very different to what it would have been liked in the 70's and 80's.

I've lived here for two years and had no issues with safety; my girlfriend is regularly up from Stoke and hasn't had any safety issues either. We have our security staff doing walks around the campus in the evening to have a presence too. Aslong you're sensible with your safety, stick to the main roads etc. it's an incredibly safe place to live.
Cheers. I've had, so far, 26 replies from people on a local Facebook page all say the same as you. Every one of them said what a nice area it was and it is unrecognisable to how it was in the 1970's and '80's. Apparently there are still lots of people in Manchester who don't know and still think it's as dangerous as hell. Many thanks. People hear "Hulme" and "Moss Side" and come to conclusions.
Olidt
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I had my phone snatched out of my hand by a group of thugs with their faces covered in Hulme right near the mmu campus about 6 months ago
Manchester Metropolitan University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Cheers. I've had, so far, 26 replies from people on a local Facebook page all say the same as you. Every one of them said what a nice area it was and it is unrecognisable to how it was in the 1970's and '80's. Apparently there are still lots of people in Manchester who don't know and still think it's as dangerous as hell. Many thanks. People hear "Hulme" and "Moss Side" and come to conclusions.
I'm glad to hear that you've had some positive responses from people living in the Hulme area!

The area is definitely different from how it was in the 1970's and 80's; however unfortunately, like with any city centre location, there are some isolated instances of crime. The University does its best to ensure the safety of our students and one way we do this is by having our security team on campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They patrol the campus, investigate crimes and respond to alarms and emergencies as well as offering crime prevention advice.

When you visit us at the Applicant Visit Day on the 26th i would recommend speaking to some of our Student Ambassadors who are staying in the Birley accommodation . They will be able to give you their personal experiences of living there, like Deyesy has, which should hopefully put your mind at ease :cool:

We also have some tips for students with regards to personal safety which are really useful for anyone living in university accommodation or in private accommodation. They can be found at http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/accommodation/...-and-security/.

I hope this helps If you have any more questions just let me know.

Rebecca
markova21
Rep:
(Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University)
I'm glad to hear that you've had some positive responses from people living in the Hulme area!

The area is definitely different from how it was in the 1970's and 80's; however unfortunately, like with any city centre location, there are some isolated instances of crime. The University does its best to ensure the safety of our students and one way we do this is by having our security team on campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They patrol the campus, investigate crimes and respond to alarms and emergencies as well as offering crime prevention advice.

When you visit us at the Applicant Visit Day on the 26th i would recommend speaking to some of our Student Ambassadors who are staying in the Birley accommodation . They will be able to give you their personal experiences of living there, like Deyesy has, which should hopefully put your mind at ease :cool:

We also have some tips for students with regards to personal safety which are really useful for anyone living in university accommodation or in private accommodation. They can be found at http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/accommodation/...-and-security/.

I hope this helps If you have any more questions just let me know.

Rebecca
Thank you Rebecca.
markova21
Rep:
(Original post by Olidt)
I had my phone snatched out of my hand by a group of thugs with their faces covered in Hulme right near the mmu campus about 6 months ago
Sorry to hear that. People on the Stretford Facebook page, who were also familiar with Hulme advised me to tell my son to not walk around with their mobile phone in their hand and also not to use an atm outside, but instead use the one inside the campus. They also told me that no-one [ in Hulme or anywhere else in Manchester] sits upstairs on a bus late at night on their own. They said if he applies these common sense strategies, he should be fine. One person who commented was a black cab driver who has driven taxis for the last twenty years. He told me that he regularly collects people who work for the BBC and ITV at Media City in Salford back to their apartments in Hulme. He said a lot of the people who moved up from London all live in Hulme. I cannot imagine people employed at Media City working for BBC News would choose to live in a dangerous area, when they could afford to live anywhere in the North West. I Googled property in Hulme and there are some really nice, fancy apartments. Several estate agents describe Hulme as "Highly Desireable" and a "Property Hotspot".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.13%
The paper was reasonable (136)
37.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.51%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise