Azazazaz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm hoping to apply for economics masters this autumn and looking for some advice.

Here's a little bit about my background:

- 4 As at A-Level
- BA Foreign Language and History at a top 5 UK university, pretty good 2:1 (about 67 I think)
- Spent the last two years working and studying abroad
- Now doing the Graduate Diploma in Economics at Birkbeck. Finishing my first year (of two) this summer.
- I have a 3 month internship at an economic consultancy in another country lined up for this summer.

I'm hoping to get a place on at least one of the following courses:

- MPhil Economics, Oxford
- MPhil Economics, Cambridge
- MSc Economics, UCL
- MSc Economics, Warwick
- MSc Economics, LSE
- Master of Social Science (Applied Economics), NUS
- MSc Economics, HKUST

but not sure how realistic this is... I've only sat one exam so far, but I reckon I'll end up with a strong merit/low distinction for my GDE. Would I 100% need a distinction in the diploma to get into these courses or do you think that a good merit and the rest of my academic/work background would be enough to get me in?

Also, what do you think about my potential choices?

Obviously North American universities are out of the question at this point, but apart from them, I understand that HKUST and NUS are two of the best economics universities outside of Europe.

Are any other UK universities worth applying for? There seems to be a sizeable gap in the rankings after Warwick..

What do you think about European universities like Pompeu Fabra, Amsterdam, etc.? I've read good things about them but I'm just concerned that UK (and potentially other) employers wouldn't know how highly rated these non-UK universities are and would just lump them all together..

I've just started investigating all of this, so some/all of what I've written may be completely inaccurate/outdated/unfair, but this is just what I've seen from QS and Times rankings and a good look at past TSR posts - please feel free to correct me!

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations!
Azazazaz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Anyone?
florencebunny
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing a grad diploma in Econ and Oxford and Cambridge weren't happy with it for MPhil Econ even with a distinction, so may struggle for that specific course. Cambridge definitely also require a 1st at undergrad for business school and faculty of econ courses regardless of course.

I know a guy with an offer for Warwick who's doing similar, so other unis you probably have a much better chance. He had a CFA so they didn't put a requirement on his grad dip, so not sure about their entry requirements more generally. If you're applying for 2017 it'll be more limited as I know my course is already closed, but LSE for instance seem to open a bit later. (Though I suspect from the fact that your course is 2 yrs you're looking at 2018 entry?)

I have an offer for a related MPhil at Cambridge JBS though (ABBB a levels, 1st class humanities degree, 1 year at Big 4 firm, 1 year other finance exp, grad dip econ), so if you were willing to consider other courses than straight econ that could open things up a bit more?

Also the personal statement/ proposal bit of the application form is really important so if that is strong it will make a big difference to your application. I contacted a potential supervisor before applying which I suspect helped as they already knew my research interests aligned with the department.

I wouldn't go solely on international rankings- Manchester for instance has an amazing careers service (did my UG there) and SOAS offers some really interesting looking Econ courses (more variety in terms of development econ etc.). At UCL I looked at the comparative econ course too as I believe it is cheaper and looked quite interesting.

Good luck!
florencebunny
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also FYI I didn't even put my A levels on my application form, I think uni is the furthest back they're interested in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads