The Student Room Group

Spanish listening and reading GCSE

Hi,

I'm really worried about the 2017 listening and reading papers. In the 2016 paper it was really hard, 20/40 marks was a U. For all the people that did it last year and did well, what should I be revising? At the moment I am learning topics such as holidays and work.
Original post by helpmerevise101
Hi,

I'm really worried about the 2017 listening and reading papers. In the 2016 paper it was really hard, 20/40 marks was a U. For all the people that did it last year and did well, what should I be revising? At the moment I am learning topics such as holidays and work.

Hi,

I don't take Spanish but I do take another language.
Depending on what exam board that you are taking, they may have a revision workbook for students, I have one from my exam board and I find that it is extremely useful for revision.

Another revision technique that I would suggest is revision flashcards. Put a word in Spanish on the front of the card and on the back have the English.
I hope this has proven to be useful to you, good luck with taking your exams!
Original post by helpmerevise101
Hi,

Ok, so the good thing about listening and reading is that you don't need to understand every single word to be able to do the exercises correctly. You can have a huge text with words you've never heard of before but as long as you're able to pick up key words you'll be able to understand what they're talking about.

Your teachers and exam boards will have given you the topics which will come up on the exams and with them, the vocabulary you'd have to know for each topic. As long as you learn that vocab you'll be able to do the listening and reading by picking up key words you've learnt, as the texts and conversation will be about those topics.

Another thing you should pay attention to, other than the topic vocab, is key words which express information needed for that exercise. For example, if it's a listening of people talking about things they like and dislike, look out for positive and negative expressions, such as "me gusta" or "odio". Or if it's of people taking about how frequently they do certain sport, look out for frequency expressions such as "una vez al mes" or "todos los dias", and so on.

So the main thing is: learn the vocabulary on the topics you were given and when you go into the exam pay attention and pick up words you recognise to make sense out of things.

I hope that helps, good luck with your exams. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
(edited 6 years ago)
I know how you feel, I am quite bad at listening JUST got a D on the 2016 listening 17/40, but I got an A on the reading but I think the only way is practicing through past listening papers and noting down vocab and phrases you dont know and make them into flash cards. memrise is also a good website and has activities for all the vocab you need for the 2017 exam

Quick Reply

Latest