Is it too late to revise for AS exams?

Watch
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey im doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths AS exams this year starting end of May. Is it too late if ive started revision just beginning of April? Im on an A for Maths, B for Biology and a D on Chemistry? Also how do you guys revise for Chemistry i cant find a good method for revision? With maths i can do past papers and biology i reread textbooks and make notes but i cant with chemistry. Thanks for replying guys.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HateOCR)
Hey im doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths AS exams this year starting end of May. Is it too late if ive started revision just beginning of April? Im on an A for Maths, B for Biology and a D on Chemistry? Also how do you guys revise for Chemistry i cant find a good method for revision? With maths i can do past papers and biology i reread textbooks and make notes but i cant with chemistry. Thanks for replying guys.
April is an okay time, I started revising in late March / early April but I had worked throughout the year for this...

For Chem, why can't you reread the textbook and make notes? Some of it is remembering and understanding a lot of knowledge like observations from different chemical tests or facts about electric cells etc whilst others are about calculating atom economy and the like. So remember all the theory but also practice the questions, you can find extra questions online - it may be worth looking at the old spec past papers for extra practice.
HateOCR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
April is an okay time, I started revising in late March / early April but I had worked throughout the year for this...

For Chem, why can't you reread the textbook and make notes? Some of it is remembering and understanding a lot of knowledge like observations from different chemical tests or facts about electric cells etc whilst others are about calculating atom economy and the like. So remember all the theory but also practice the questions, you can find extra questions online - it may be worth looking at the old spec past papers for extra practice.
Ok thanks will do. There are so many chemical tests to remember its driving me crazy! You dont have to remember specific volumes right? Only the chemicals used?
Also what exam board are you doing for chemistry if you dont mind me asking. My exams are in 5 weeks so im not sure if its enough time
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HateOCR)
Ok thanks will do. There are so many chemical tests to remember its driving me crazy! You dont have to remember specific volumes right? Only the chemicals used?
Also what exam board are you doing for chemistry if you dont mind me asking. My exams are in 5 weeks so im not sure if its enough time
I did my A-levels a few years ago with AQA Chemistry on the old spec.

There you only had to remember the observations, no volumes were mentioned in the textbook so I can't comment on (presumably) OCR... if you forget, I'm sure it's not the end of the world - it might only cost one mark, you can always make it up but I suspect there are more important details to remember than volume... for example standard conditions if that comes up in OCR.

I understand that it's stressful but there's little point in worrying about how long you have left, you just have to get through it. It's enough time to go over the syllabus and learn it again, but requires dedication.

Good luck!
HopelessMedic
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Get a revision guide for Chem and Bio, make some notes using the spec and then just do practice questions/papers.

For maths start doing past papers now and complete as many as you can before the exams.

It doesn't matter if it is or isn't too late, you can only control what you do NOW so don't waste any more time.
HateOCR
Rep:
?
(Original post by HopelessMedic)
Get a revision guide for Chem and Bio, make some notes using the spec and then just do practice questions/papers.

For maths start doing past papers now and complete as many as you can before the exams.

It doesn't matter if it is or isn't too late, you can only control what you do NOW so don't waste any more time.
Hello guys. I do chemistry AQA btw but its the new spec. Ive completed all the Maths past papers for C1, C2 and S1 and ive been doing pretty well. I think im ready to sit the maths exam now, its just biology is long and chemistry is a tough subject. Thank youfor all the advices. Ill be starting revision for chemistry now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (24)
6.02%
Uncertainty around my education (45)
11.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (46)
11.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (52)
13.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (20)
5.01%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (18)
4.51%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (41)
10.28%
Financial worries (27)
6.77%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (17)
4.26%
Exposure to negative news/social media (26)
6.52%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (11)
2.76%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (40)
10.03%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (32)
8.02%

Watched Threads