Applying for a Masters Course (MRes) In Chemistry from a Low Ranked University Watch

chemistrygrad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Currently am studying (2nd year) for my BSc in chemistry at a lower ranked university (around 30th). It's a decent university however chemistry at this university is still fairly new and so will be a few years before it becomes more highly regarded. I know that i want a career in chemistry but i'm not sure that a masters from my current institution will be good enough for that.

I'm looking to apply for an MRes and am wondering if anyone has any experience applying for such courses at universities that are ranked higher (imperial, sussex, surrey etc.), specifically from a university that isn't as highly regarded (at least not in the top 20 for chemistry).

I'm confident i can get a first, i got a first in my first year, and am currently averaging ~80% in my second year, however i still have all my exams to come.

I'm basically not sure if i'm setting my sights too high. Based on my pre university qualifications i'd have no chance of getting into a top university, however the entry requirements are almost always 2:1.

any advice or personal experiences is appreciated
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chemistrygrad)
i'm not sure that a masters from my current institution will be good enough for that.

I'm looking to apply for an MRes and am wondering if anyone has any experience applying for such courses at universities that are ranked higher (imperial, sussex, surrey etc.), specifically from a university that isn't as highly regarded (at least not in the top 20 for chemistry)....

I'm basically not sure if i'm setting my sights too high. Based on my pre university qualifications i'd have no chance of getting into a top university, however the entry requirements are almost always 2:1.
The effect of uni reputation at postgrad level, is negligible. If you meet the basic criteria (for most Masters that will be a 2.1 degree or higher, two good academic references and a decent application) than it will be about whether you, as an individual, are the right person for the Masters. I went to a higher-middle-ranking former poly and did my Masters at a top five Russell Group uni. Undergrad colleagues have gone on to postgrad study at UCL, SOAS and Oxford, amongst many others.

Just concentrate on getting the best marks you can where you are. When you get to your dissertation/independent research project in the third year, establish a good working relationship with your supervisor - they will be a valuable academic referee. As you're looking at an MRes, getting this aspect of your course right will be important, as it establishes your potential as a researcher. However that isn't uni dependent - it would hold true if you were an Oxbridge undergrad as well.

You are not setting your sights too high. If you're good enough to get a 2.1 at any UK university, then you have the potential to make a good postgrad at any other UK university.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As above, Unis don't give a monkeys about 'rankings' - this is the obsession of school-leavers, not academics.

If you get/expect a 2i or a First, and you can write a sensible research proposal and have two good references, then a place at any other Uni shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Apply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (9)
52.94%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
5.88%
No- I want it (5)
29.41%
No- I don't want it (2)