Travel Insurance with Asthma

Watch
louisem_h90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm going backpacking for a couple of years, so need to take out some travel insurance. A few years ago I was diagnosed with Asthma, and given a brown and blue inhaler. Within a year, it had pretty much cleared up, and I haven't taken my inhalers for at least a year now, if not more. Never been bad to the point I've had to go into hospital, or had a bad asthma attack. But they are still listed on my prescription.

When I'm doing travel insurance, they're obviously asking about pre-existing medical conditions. But when I tell them I have very mild asthma, and don't even take my inhalers, they're still adding quite a bit onto the quote. I was thinking of not telling them, but then if I have an accident or anything, even if it's not related to asthma, are they likely to find it out, and refuse to pay out? Or does anyone know any travel insurance companies, that aren't going to rip me off for it? I don't mind paying a little if it covers my back, but I'm refusing to pay a lot for something I don't even really have anymore.

Thanks
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by louisem_h90)
I'm going backpacking for a couple of years, so need to take out some travel insurance. A few years ago I was diagnosed with Asthma, and given a brown and blue inhaler. Within a year, it had pretty much cleared up, and I haven't taken my inhalers for at least a year now, if not more. Never been bad to the point I've had to go into hospital, or had a bad asthma attack. But they are still listed on my prescription.

When I'm doing travel insurance, they're obviously asking about pre-existing medical conditions. But when I tell them I have very mild asthma, and don't even take my inhalers, they're still adding quite a bit onto the quote. I was thinking of not telling them, but then if I have an accident or anything, even if it's not related to asthma, are they likely to find it out, and refuse to pay out? Or does anyone know any travel insurance companies, that aren't going to rip me off for it? I don't mind paying a little if it covers my back, but I'm refusing to pay a lot for something I don't even really have anymore.

Thanks
I've never paid that much more for having asthma. In fact, my bank doesn't even charge me for having asthma at all.

They only wouldn't pay if it was due to your asthma. So, if you break your leg, they have to pay out because it has nothing to do with your asthma.
louisem_h90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks Tiger Rag. I thought that was the case, but just wanted to double check. As I didn't want to go break something, then them say I'm not covered because I didn't declare I had very mild asthma. (Not that I'm planning to break anything...hopefully!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (97)
5.07%
Uncertainty around my education (288)
15.06%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (203)
10.62%
Lack of purpose or motivation (268)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (83)
4.34%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (110)
5.75%
Loneliness (165)
8.63%
Financial worries (68)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (85)
4.45%
Exposure to negative news/social media (90)
4.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (105)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (168)
8.79%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (182)
9.52%

Watched Threads