The Student Room Group

Mature student, part time job?

Hi, I'm a mature student with a young family. My husband is also studying. So far we have not taken part time jobs as I am of the understanding that it would affect our income - student finance, dependants grant, childcare grant, and tax credits. However I was wondering if anyone knew how it would affect us if we took part time jobs over the summer?
Original post by BethW1984
Hi, I'm a mature student with a young family. My husband is also studying. So far we have not taken part time jobs as I am of the understanding that it would affect our income - student finance, dependants grant, childcare grant, and tax credits. However I was wondering if anyone knew how it would affect us if we took part time jobs over the summer?

Your income for student finance is ignored completely. I can't comment on how your tax credits will be affected though.
Reply 2
As I understand it, your Child Tax Credits shouldn't be affected, but you will need to work a minimum of 16 hours a week to get the Working Tax Credit (and even then, it isn't a given as a student). Check the details on the NUS's handy summary for students:
https://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/what-tax-credits-can-i-get-as-a-student/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending