The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Architecture has much more emphasis on design, civil engs then work with architects to try to build what has been designed!
Reply 2
Civil engineering is very different to Architecture. They work with foundations working out valuse to determine if there will be land slides ect. Thay also work with things like bridges, drains and other civil buildings.

Architecture is all about design. to make ergonomic enviroments. Pleasan't city developments- it is a lot lot more creative.

Civil enginerring is all about maths. Architecture is all about art and design.

I much prefre architecture :wink:
Reply 3
Yea I'm struggling with that too. I like the idea because it has a joint engineering/architectural course. I much prefer the architectural aspect, bit I'm pretty bad at art + design. Do you need any art qualification for an architectural course?
Reply 4
haz136
Yea I'm struggling with that too. I like the idea because it has a joint engineering/architectural course. I much prefer the architectural aspect, bit I'm pretty bad at art + design. Do you need any art qualification for an architectural course?

Not necessarily although I believe that some unis may ask for a portfolio of artwork.
Reply 5
haz136

I'm looking into this too. The good thing is some uni's offer more arty architecture courses and others offer more sciency ones. If you're really that concerned aswell some architecture courses you end up with a Bsc and others a BA (however UCL is a Bsc and that is meant to be very arty). I've also heard that Bath is quite sciency so maybe thats quite a good option if you're better at the science parts of the course.

Personally, i'd go with plain architecture or plain engineering, a mixed course isn't always often the best choice as it may leave employers the idea that you're not so sure on what career you want and that you may not have covered enough in each field. I may be wrong however! :smile:

About the art qualifications, most do say just evidence of being able to draw/artistic talent etc., however most do prefer you to have taken it at GCSE at least.
Reply 6
razormylight
Personally, i'd go with plain architecture or plain engineering, a mixed course isn't always often the best choice as it may leave employers the idea that you're not so sure on what career you want and that you may not have covered enough in each field. I may be wrong however! :smile:

The key thing is to check is wehther the courses are accredited by the relevant professional bodies.
Reply 7
bodomx
who knows the difference between civil engineering and Architecture. Which field is more suitable for someone who is interested in maths and physics? I guess both are very much alike. but am confused about the differences i both. May be engineers in this forum could help me. :confused:

the fields of work often overlap. as have been stated above, architects emphasis on design and the managerial aspects of construction. engineers consult architects on the viabilty of the strcuture and carry out the whole plan. there's a saying, "an architect's dream is an engineer's nightmare". however, there are some buildings that are completely designed and built by engineers. this is because engineers have an in-depth of knowledge of mechanics and materials - and in addtion to that they also learn how to create good engineering design. buildings like these are often not the marvels of the built environment, they're just practical and not very pretty. an architect-designed building is aesthetically-pleasing and so they say last longer. architects cannot design dams and brideges, these are exclusively the job of engineers. :wink:

im also applying to joint arch-eng courses. some uni requires art work but others dont , depending on the amount of architecture modules in the engineering degree. so best of luck!

Latest