Spookyfish23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
On question 3b iii) in the mark scheme why do they multiply 2.3 divided 0.2 by 2?

Paper is Jan 2011
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Post the question
Spookyfish23
Rep:
?
(Original post by starfab)
Post the question

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65360-q...-resources.pdf

This is the paper, question 3b iii
vali7654321
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Spookyfish23)
On question 3b iii) in the mark scheme why do they multiply 2.3 divided 0.2 by 2?

Paper is Jan 2011
Whats the question?
Spookyfish23
Rep:
?
(Original post by vali7654321)
Whats the question?
Solid ammonium thiocyanate, NH 4 SCN, reacts with solid barium hydroxide, Ba(OH) 2 , as shown in the equation below

2NH 4 SCN(s) + Ba(OH) 2 (s) Ba(SCN) 2 (s) + 2H 2 O(l) + 2NH 3 (g

A research chemist carries out an experiment to determine the enthalpy change of this reaction.

(Diagram)

boiling tube mixture of ammonium thiocyanate and barium hydroxide insulated beaker thermometer 50.0g of water In the experiment, 15.22 g of NH 4 SCN is reacted with a slight excess of Ba(OH) 2 . The reaction absorbs energy, cooling the 50.0 g of water from 21.9 °C to 10.9 °C.

(i) Calculate the energy absorbed, in kJ, during this reaction. The specific heat capacity of water = 4.2 J g –1 K –1 . energy =

................................ ......................kJ [2]

(ii) Calculate the amount, in moles, of NH 4 SCN used by the research chemist. amount = ................................ ................... mol

(iii) Calculate the enthalpy change of reaction. Include the sign in your answer. Give your answer to two significant figures.
vali7654321
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Spookyfish23)
Solid ammonium thiocyanate, NH 4 SCN, reacts with solid barium hydroxide, Ba(OH) 2 , as shown in the equation below

2NH 4 SCN(s) + Ba(OH) 2 (s) Ba(SCN) 2 (s) + 2H 2 O(l) + 2NH 3 (g

A research chemist carries out an experiment to determine the enthalpy change of this reaction.

(Diagram)

boiling tube mixture of ammonium thiocyanate and barium hydroxide insulated beaker thermometer 50.0g of water In the experiment, 15.22 g of NH 4 SCN is reacted with a slight excess of Ba(OH) 2 . The reaction absorbs energy, cooling the 50.0 g of water from 21.9 °C to 10.9 °C.

(i) Calculate the energy absorbed, in kJ, during this reaction. The specific heat capacity of water = 4.2 J g –1 K –1 . energy =

................................ ......................kJ [2]

(ii) Calculate the amount, in moles, of NH 4 SCN used by the research chemist. amount = ................................ ................... mol

(iii) Calculate the enthalpy change of reaction. Include the sign in your answer. Give your answer to two significant figures.
Its because there's 2 moles of NH4SCN so you need to multiply your answer by 2. The mark scheme says you dont need to multiply it by 2.

ALLOW answers per mole of NH4SCN
∆Hr = 2.3 ÷ 0.200 for one mark
12 for the second mark
+ sign for the third mark
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.05%
I'm not sure (27)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (190)
31.4%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.15%
I'm not a current university student (290)
47.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed