AlvTheDon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone does these course currently or anyone who applied to these course for the following year. which uni and which course would be better to become a design engineer (both courses are v similar). hence, if possible to become charted engineer. thank you!!

Alvin
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AlvTheDon)
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone does these course currently or anyone who applied to these course for the following year. which uni and which course would be better to become a design engineer (both courses are v similar). hence, if possible to become charted engineer. thank you!!

Alvin
What kind of things do you want to design?
AlvTheDon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
What kind of things do you want to design?
anything though main interests are in transport areas such as aeroplanes and cars. thanks for reply
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
anything though main interests are in transport areas such as aeroplanes and cars. thanks for reply
Both courses seem decent enough. A lot of engineering graduates go on to become design engineers. It's more about applying to relevant positions and having an interest in designing things, than having a degree titled "design engineering" or something similar, so look at mechanical engineering degrees too.
AlvTheDon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
Both courses seem decent enough. A lot of engineering graduates go on to become design engineers. It's more about applying to relevant positions and having an interest in designing things, than having a degree titled "design engineering" or something similar, so look at mechanical engineering degrees too.
i looked into quite a few mechanical engineering degrees however they seemed to focus more on the practical side and making etc. while design engineering gives you the broad discipline between engineering and design, a combination which focuses more on the design principles while mechanical engineering only focuses a small amount on design. Do you know which uni is better? and i also applied so is it possible to change now? thank you!

Alvin
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i looked into quite a few mechanical engineering degrees however they seemed to focus more on the practical side and making etc. while design engineering gives you the broad discipline between engineering and design, a combination which focuses more on the design principles while mechanical engineering only focuses a small amount on design. Do you know which uni is better? and i also applied so is it possible to change now? thank you!

Alvin
It's unusual to hear more about mechanical engineering degrees focusing too much on the practical side of things - the complaint I more commonly hear is the reverse, that they are too theoretical.

Nonetheless, you need a decent enough understanding of the practical side of things to be successful in design, as you need to have an awareness of how your design will be manufactured.

I don't know which of those universities is better, though. I would be looking at the course and the industrial links.
AlvTheDon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
It's unusual to hear more about mechanical engineering degrees focusing too much on the practical side of things - the complaint I more commonly hear is the reverse, that they are too theoretical.

Nonetheless, you need a decent enough understanding of the practical side of things to be successful in design, as you need to have an awareness of how your design will be manufactured.

I don't know which of those universities is better, though. I would be looking at the course and the industrial links.
I see, if I wanted to go for mechanical is it too late to change my option now? Thank you.

Alvin
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I see, if I wanted to go for mechanical is it too late to change my option now? Thank you.

Alvin
I'm not sure, but both courses look very much like a standard mech eng degree anyway (to me, at least), maybe swapping out some theory for more design work.
AlvTheDon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
I'm not sure, but both courses look very much like a standard mech eng degree anyway (to me, at least), maybe swapping out some theory for more design work.
Do you know if it's possible to change to mech degree if that's better? 🙂

Alvin
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you know if it's possible to change to mech degree if that's better? 🙂

Alvin
As I said, I'm not sure about the process of changing courses. This would be something that is best asked to the university.
Iantang
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Liverpool.......
Iantang
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do Industrial design at Liverpool and then an MSc at Brunel....
AlvTheDon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iantang)
Do Industrial design at Liverpool and then an MSc at Brunel....

thanks 4 reply. why though? lik wht reasons?
Iantang
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are really into drawings of consumer products the Industrial design course would be better than Mech. The projects involve choosing of material etc (Mech) but will touch on innovative design of the products. With this background you can then go on to Brunel for its location and strong industrial connections.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.23%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.76%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.8%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (46)
24.34%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.59%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads