Fannon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  475.2 KB
Aaaaaa I have no idea how to approach it, I try it but then it seems like I'm going backwards. Trying to revise it as this is supposedly a 'typical' grade 9 and that's what I've been predicted but I CANT DO IT
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fannon)
Aaaaaa I have no idea how to approach it, I try it but then it seems like I'm going backwards. Trying to revise it as this is supposedly a 'typical' grade 9 and that's what I've been predicted but I CANT DO IT
Let the number of tourists on the island in 1986 be 'n'. Then there were 7n natives in 1986.

Then how many natives and tourists were there in 1987?

And how can you use the fact that the ratio was 155:69 in 1987 to form an equation?
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The initial number of natives (in 1986) could be written as 7x, making the number of tourists x, as this still maintains the 7:1 ratio given in the question.
You are then told that the number of natives decreases by 100, and the number of tourists increases by 220, so can you then write the new numbers of natives and tourists as expressions in terms of x?
From these expressions, you can then write a new ratio of natives:tourists, meaning you now have two equivalent ratios - one with numbers, given in the question, and the one involving x which you have made.

For two equivalent ratios a:b and c:d, a/b = c/d. You can then apply this fact to your two ratios to form an equation which you can solve to find x.
Hope this helps!
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah, sorry notnek, didn't refresh and see that you'd also posted!

(Original post by notnek)
Let the number of tourists on the island in 1986 be 'n'. Then there were 7n natives in 1986.

Then how many natives and tourists were there in 1987?

And how can you use the fact that the ratio was 155:69 in 1987 to form an equation?
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by surina16)
Ah, sorry notnek, didn't refresh and see that you'd also posted!
No need to apologise. It's always good to have more than one person helping in a thread
Fannon
Rep:
?
The initial number of natives (in 1986) could be written as 7x, making the number of tourists x, as this still maintains the 7:1 ratio given in the question.
You are then told that the number of natives decreases by 100, and the number of tourists increases by 220, so can you then write the new numbers of natives and tourists as expressions in terms of x?
From these expressions, you can then write a new ratio of natives:tourists, meaning you now have two equivalent ratios - one with numbers, given in the question, and the one involving x which you have made.

For two equivalent ratios a:b and c:d, a/b = c/d. You can then apply this fact to your two ratios to form an equation which you can solve to find x.
Hope this helps!
Yayyy thanks I've got it now. I vaguely remember this being taught probs wasn't paying attention
username3037548
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what was the answer?
username3037548
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
125?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
is it ok to use the term "natives" ?
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ozilll)
125?
Yes that's correct.
DD2508
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yayyy thanks I've got it now. I vaguely remember this being taught probs wasn't paying attention
Hey can I ask you what exam board you're doing coz I'm in year 11 and I've never seen a question like that
I'll still try the question tho and see how it goes
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
is it ok to use the term "natives" ?
Yes. In the question it just means the people who live there as opposed to tourists who visit.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes. In the question it just means the people who live there as opposed to tourists who visit.
it does not feel right... they could have used "inhabitants" instead :dontknow:
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
it does not feel right... they could have used "inhabitants" instead :dontknow:
It's not referring to any country and is just distinguishing between people who live there and tourists so it seems fine to me.

If they were talking about a specific country or comparing natives with collonials then I'd probably take issue with it

But it does seem like this question wasn't written in the last 30 years.
Fannon
Rep:
?
(Original post by DD2508)
Hey can I ask you what exam board you're doing coz I'm in year 11 and I've never seen a question like that
AQA. this sort of question does appear a lot with the new GCSE I think because there's so much more on problem solving. If you want I can send you an attachment with loads of these 'level 9' questions
Fannon
Rep:
?
And with the new syllabus it's the same no matter what board
DD2508
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
AQA. this sort of question does appear a lot with the new GCSE I think because there's so much more on problem solving. If you want I can send you an attachment with loads of these 'level 9' questions
Yh that would be very helpful, thanks
I did try the question and got 125 so i guess i just panicked for no reason
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
These kinds of questions are quite common in the new 9-1 GCSE. The first time you see one they can be quite tricky but they're fine once you practice them. Here's a link with some practice for the common ratio questions that have appeared in practice/specimen papers.
DD2508
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
These kinds of questions are quite common in the new 9-1 GCSE. The first time you see one they can be quite tricky but they're fine once you practice them. Here's a link with some practice for the common ratio questions that have appeared in practice/specimen papers.
Thank you!!
IftekharAhad
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hope this helps!
Struggling to form two equivalent ratios... Don't know i this is right but the closest I got to was 7x-100 = x+220 which gives 7x = 320. I'm not sure what to do after this or even if this is the correct way to do it. Some help would be appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (64)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (126)
23.91%
Live streaming events (46)
8.73%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.87%
A uni comparison tool (122)
23.15%
An in-person event when available (117)
22.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise