Kbennett06
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does anybody have any tips on how to revise for English lit? More specifically things like aspects of tragedy paper : Othello, Death of a Salesman, John Keats.

Or any tips on how to revise English in general?
old6h
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Studyguides? You could make summaries for the different acts in Othello and write key quotes. Put a key theme in the middle of a piece of paper, and write as many points as you can around it, and look for critical views and links you can add to your essays about said theme.
Nosnip_9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Our teacher says stay away from study guides because they're too definitive and not really the level of complexity. A really good idea is to go through the texts and extract quotes that are important and write / type them all out in order of chapter / scene. Then go through and put them into groups for each character, and groups for each theme. If you're doing Othello closed book this will be super useful.
You could also do mindmaps of each theme in the book and then write anything you could associate with that theme - remember to include wider reading and contexts.

Good luck!
StevetheIcecube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yorknotes Advanced are what my college recommends!

Basics:
Looking at key themes, key quotes
Character profiles
Revision of context
Rereading the books/plays/poems
Past papers! Even just writing detailed plans for the essays on the papers rather than actually answering all the questions helps

More detailed:
Reading critical essays
Try revising with/teaching it to other people
Tracking themes across the texts
Analysis of key aspects that you can probably just stick in an exam if it comes up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (152)
14.49%
I'm not sure (46)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.74%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (512)
48.81%

Watched Threads