The Student Room Group

Maths AQA C4 Help - Binomial Expansions

a) Determine the binomial expansion of (1-X/10)^-3 in ascending powers of X, up to and including the term in X^3.

b) Show that the coefficients of X^n in this expansion is K(n+1)(n+2)*1/10^n for a rational number K whose value is to be determined.

I can do part a, where I got 1 + X/30 + (3X^2)/25 + (x^3)/100. However my textbook offers no help with regards to part b, any ideas?😕
Reply 1
Original post by Marieclairebaker
a) Determine the binomial expansion of (1-X/10)^-3 in ascending powers of X, up to and including the term in X^3.

b) Show that the coefficients of X^n in this expansion is K(n+1)(n+2)*1/10^n for a rational number K whose value is to be determined.

I can do part a, where I got 1 + X/30 + (3X^2)/25 + (x^3)/100. However my textbook offers no help with regards to part b, any ideas?😕

It's more of an extension question designed to be a bit harder I think. Write out maybe the first four or five terms and don't simplify the coefficients and try and find the general pattern which will simplify to the answer.
Original post by B_9710
It's more of an extension question designed to be a bit harder I think. Write out maybe the first four or five terms and don't simplify the coefficients and try and find the general pattern which will simplify to the answer.

What would the first terms be though?
Reply 3
What would the first terms be though?

Use the binomial theorem.
Original post by B_9710
Use the binomial theorem.

So how do I do that if it's not in the form (a+bX)^n ?
So how do I do that if it's not in the form (a+bX)^n ?

It's in the form (1+ax)n(1+ax)^n instead which equals 1+n(ax)+n(n1)2(ax)2+...1+n(ax)+\frac{n(n-1)}{2}(ax)^2+...
Somebody please start this for me, I beg. I've been stuck on this for hours🙏🏻
Somebody please start this for me, I beg. I've been stuck on this for hours🙏🏻

You expanded wrong for one of them

Variable : Coefficient

x0:1x^0 : 1

x1:3101x^1 : 3 \cdot 10^{-1}

x2:6102x^2 : 6 \cdot 10^{-2}

x3:10103x^3 : 10 \cdot 10^{-3}

x4:15104x^4 : 15 \cdot 10^{-4}

Notice any patterns? What types of numbers are 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, ...?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
You expanded wrong for one of them

Variable : Coefficient

x0:1x^0 : 1

x1:3101x^1 : 3 \cdot 10^{-1}

x2:6102x^2 : 6 \cdot 10^{-2}

x3:10103x^3 : 10 \cdot 10^{-3}

x4:15104x^4 : 15 \cdot 10^{-4}

Notice any patterns? What types of numbers are 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, ...?

Thank you for your help but I don't really see what you're indicating😪
Thank you for your help but I don't really see what you're indicating😪

You need to find a relationship between the exponent of xx and its coefficient.

So essentially, if you were to carry on with the table above, how would it look like for the general term xnx^n??

Clearly you can notice that at first, there is a 10n10^{-n} involved as a multiple of xnx^n so carrying the table on would give

xn:K10nx^ n : K\cdot 10^{-n}

and now you just need to express KK in terms of nn

So can you some sort of relationship going on here? I gave you a hint for the numbers 1,3,6,10,151,3,6,10,15 which are part of family of numbers which have a formula that you can use.
Original post by RDKGames
You need to find a relationship between the exponent of xx and its coefficient.

So essentially, if you were to carry on with the table above, how would it look like for the general term xnx^n??

Clearly you can notice that at first, there is a 10n10^{-n} involved as a multiple of xnx^n so carrying the table on would give

xn:K10nx^ n : K\cdot 10^{-n}

and now you just need to express KK in terms of nn

So can you some sort of relationship going on here? I gave you a hint for the numbers 1,3,6,10,151,3,6,10,15 which are part of family of numbers which have a formula that you can use.

I understand all of that now😄 I see that with the numbers you add on an extra one each time but I don't see how you use it in terms of n. Wouldn't you be able to carry it on forever? Why would it stop at (n+2)? Why not (n+3) etc?
Reply 11
I understand all of that now😄 I see that with the numbers you add on an extra one each time but I don't see how you use it in terms of n. Wouldn't you be able to carry it on forever? Why would it stop at (n+2)? Why not (n+3) etc?

Basically you want to find the nth term of the sequence 1,3,6,10,15,...
It's a quadratic sequence.
Reply 12
The binomial theorem tells you that the coefficient of x^n is 3(31)(3n)(3n+1)n!(110)n\frac{-3(-3-1)\cdots (-3-n)(-3-n+1)}{n!} \left(\frac{-1}{10}\right)^n

But the numerator kindly simplifies to (1)n(n+3)!(-1)^n(n+3)! and you know what to do with (n+3)!n!\frac{(n+3)!}{n!}.

Quick Reply

Latest