Living costs in London for 1 year for masters in management Watch

manuela.bar.mim
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,

My name is Manuela and I am 21 years old, I am from Brazil. I study final year at FGV - EAESP São Paulo Business Administration School and my majors are international business administration and finance.I will do international MiM masters in management nex year in the UK or elsewhere in the EU. I have offers from LSE and Imperial and for other non MiM course at Oxbridge. I am also interested in ETH Zurich, HEC Paris, Bocconi in Italy and ESADE in Spain. I speak French, Spanish and Italian in addition to English. Is 10.000 British pound sterling enough to live on my own in a studio apartment in London for 1 academic year, how much will I need for this, I can spend the 15.000 for living costs maximum, thank you
quasa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by manuela.bar.mim)
Hello,

My name is Manuela and I am 21 years old, I am from Brazil. I study final year at FGV - EAESP São Paulo Business Administration School and my majors are international business administration and finance.I will do international MiM masters in management nex year in the UK or elsewhere in the EU. I have offers from LSE and Imperial and for other non MiM course at Oxbridge. I am also interested in ETH Zurich, HEC Paris, Bocconi in Italy and ESADE in Spain. I speak French, Spanish and Italian in addition to English. Is 10.000 British pound sterling enough to live on my own in a studio apartment in London for 1 academic year, how much will I need for this, I can spend the 15.000 for living costs maximum, thank you

1st of all, congratulations for getting offers for the top 4 universities in the UK.

to be honest, it depends which part of london you are going to be in. also you have to be aware of contracts for property, whether you have a guarantor or not, and about something in the UK called council tax (in the UK, anyone who is the named resident in a property has to pay something called council tax, which is what is used to fund the local government / services).

Now, the areas of London both Imperial and LSE are located in are notoriously expensive. my advice would be to look on either the university website / contact them about student accomodation. Alternatively, if you dislike noisy students, then check out a property site like zoopla.co.uk and rightmove and find out prices.

The lowest annual accomodation cost I can see for south kensington (Imperial) that isnt student accomodation is around £9000/year for a studio flat (1 bedroom with the living space bedroom and kitchen being in the same room) + you also have to pay for bills (usually £200-300/ month or £2400-3600/ year) and other expenses. a 1 bedroom apartment (read bed, living space, kitchen separate) is £10800/year minimum.

For westminister (LSE), for a furnished flat is a minimum of £12800 a year on rent alone + expensed but this is for a 1 bedroom flat around wetminister or victoria.

when looking for accomodation, check if it is furnished or not as it can mean spending unecessary money on furniture .

Student accomodation tends to be quite expensive for london ( minimum £575/week or £29,900 for westminister) so you need to be careful. also irregardless of going for student or private accomodation, you need to have insurance for the property as well.

also, when going for private accomodation (and even student), you need to register as being council tax exempt with your local council upon receiving University ID & Confirmation of course dates, otherwise you have to spend thousands of pounds a year.

In anycase, best of luck with the property search and hope you choose / enjoy the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
61.02%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.9%
No- I want it (120)
26.73%
No- I don't want it (33)
7.35%

Watched Threads