I need a study supporting the functionalist perspective of education.

Watch
jamieb147
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
As the title states, I need a study supporting the functionalist perspective of education. Try as I might, when I search online or in my sociology books, the only thing that turns up are various interpretations of this perspective from Merton and Parsons etc and not studies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S a study with some kind of evaluation would be great, but I'll take what I can get.
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jamieb147)
As the title states, I need a study supporting the functionalist perspective of education. Try as I might, when I search online or in my sociology books, the only thing that turns up are various interpretations of this perspective from Merton and Parsons etc and not studies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S a study with some kind of evaluation would be great, but I'll take what I can get.
This page should contain plenty of helpful information.

Now, when it comes to the functionalist view of education, you do not support it with the kind of study you would expect. You can support it with statistics, real life exampes, and common sense.

To exemplify ('example' in bold):

One argument in favour of the functionalist view of education is the fact that education prepares people for work. Schools have strict schedules similar to how workplaces do, encourage teamwork, and there are penalties for lateness and missing school. All of these are more or less a preview of what working life is going to be like and help people perform better in society in order to keep society running smoothly while providing a sense of belonging and social solidarity. In consequence, the functionalist view of education can be correct because education is a preparation for work, which is the base of society, and provides the sense of social solidarity that glues society together.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your exams! :hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (61)
52.14%
Yes, but I want to swap them (10)
8.55%
No, but I know who I want to choose (14)
11.97%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (29)
24.79%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (3)
2.56%

Watched Threads