Turn on thread page Beta

I need a study supporting the functionalist perspective of education. watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title states, I need a study supporting the functionalist perspective of education. Try as I might, when I search online or in my sociology books, the only thing that turns up are various interpretations of this perspective from Merton and Parsons etc and not studies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S a study with some kind of evaluation would be great, but I'll take what I can get.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jamieb147)
    As the title states, I need a study supporting the functionalist perspective of education. Try as I might, when I search online or in my sociology books, the only thing that turns up are various interpretations of this perspective from Merton and Parsons etc and not studies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S a study with some kind of evaluation would be great, but I'll take what I can get.
    This page should contain plenty of helpful information.

Now, when it comes to the functionalist view of education, you do not support it with the kind of study you would expect. You can support it with statistics, real life exampes, and common sense.

To exemplify ('example' in bold):

One argument in favour of the functionalist view of education is the fact that education prepares people for work. Schools have strict schedules similar to how workplaces do, encourage teamwork, and there are penalties for lateness and missing school. All of these are more or less a preview of what working life is going to be like and help people perform better in society in order to keep society running smoothly while providing a sense of belonging and social solidarity. In consequence, the functionalist view of education can be correct because education is a preparation for work, which is the base of society, and provides the sense of social solidarity that glues society together.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your exams! :hugs:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2017

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.