The Student Room Group

UCL MSci Psychology

Hi :smile: So I've gotten an offer to study MSci Psychology at UCL and I know that one of the major differences between this course and BSc Psychology is one additional master year.

Since I am planning to do Clinical Psychology later on, I place heavy emphasis on placements/work experience. This was one of the reasons I've chosen MSci instead of BSc as listed in the course structure, it states that students can pick the "MSci Applied route" which will enable students to gain experiences of applying psychological theory in an applied setting and the challenges of carrying out research in such an environment.

So my question is (after that large chunk of paragraph sorry haha), is this more or less the same as a placement? Or is this something different and I have completely misinterpreted this?

Thank you so much! If any of you guys have studied/currently studying at MSci Psychology @ UCL, it would be great if you could share your experience! Perhaps in terms of difficulty and how the general course is like! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by katekatie
Hi :smile: So I've gotten an offer to study MSci Psychology at UCL and I know that one of the major differences between this course and BSc Psychology is one additional master year.

Since I am planning to do Clinical Psychology later on, I place heavy emphasis on placements/work experience. This was one of the reasons I've chosen MSci instead of BSc as listed in the course structure, it states that students can pick the "MSci Applied route" which will enable students to gain experiences of applying psychological theory in an applied setting and the challenges of carrying out research in such an environment.

So my question is (after that large chunk of paragraph sorry haha), is this more or less the same as a placement? Or is this something different and I have completely misinterpreted this?

Thank you so much! If any of you guys have studied/currently studying at MSci Psychology @ UCL, it would be great if you could share your experience! Perhaps in terms of difficulty and how the general course is like! :smile:

If you mean that an applied MSci is basically like a placement year, no, it is not. You will not gain work experience from that. What it sounds like is that your class will be more practical (you will do a preview of what carrying out research is like in class). So, I expect that when you learn something, you will be asked to try it out in class or outside of it.
Hi Katie, I sent in my application for the MSci psychology program earlier this month, so do you mind if I ask you for your GCSEs, ASs and predicted grades? I want to know my chances. Thank you so much!
Reply 3
Original post by 28dec
Hi Katie, I sent in my application for the MSci psychology program earlier this month, so do you mind if I ask you for your GCSEs, ASs and predicted grades? I want to know my chances. Thank you so much!

Hello there! Unfortunately, I didn't do ASs as I did the IB Diploma, however, I did do GCSEs/IGCSEs.

I received 8A*s, 2As and 2Bs for IGCSE/GCSE!
Hello there! Unfortunately, I didn't do ASs as I did the IB Diploma, however, I did do GCSEs/IGCSEs.

I received 8A*s, 2As and 2Bs for IGCSE/GCSE!

What was your predicted IB score? And how is the course going for you?
Reply 5
Original post by 28dec
What was your predicted IB score? And how is the course going for you?

My predicted score was 41/45. I received an unconditional offer but I didn't end up going to UCL because the ranking for Bath for Psychology was higher.

Placement was also guaranteed at Bath, and experience in the field of Psychology is definitely more impressive than the reputation of the university!
My predicted score was 41/45. I received an unconditional offer but I didn't end up going to UCL because the ranking for Bath for Psychology was higher.

Placement was also guaranteed at Bath, and experience in the field of Psychology is definitely more impressive than the reputation of the university!

Omg wow! That's impressive. Do you mind me asking how you got an unconditional offer for ucl? Because I thought ucl only gives out conditional ones
Reply 7
Original post by 28dec
Omg wow! That's impressive. Do you mind me asking how you got an unconditional offer for ucl? Because I thought ucl only gives out conditional ones

Haha thank you! So sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant I received a conditional offer for my predicted but I wrote unconditional offer just to let you know my final grades met my predicted and I got a place for UCL, but didn't go by choice rather than missing the offer.

Quick Reply